RE: OGC Temporal DWG. Was: space and time

On Tue, 7/29/14, Little, Chris <chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:

 And I agree that transparency about calendar algorithms is an issue, not just
 in their book. This isone thing that I hope that an OGC Best Practice document could help, in however a small way.

Hi Chris,

Maybe it is time to "go big" - Universal Coordinated Calendar Time (UTCT).  In the near term, (this Julian Century) the Calendar has no unidentified shifts.  We know about Leap Days and the Calendar is ignorant of Leap Seconds.  So, it is possible.

This presents a problem for Linked Data because even though Personal Identity is coupled to Occupation and Occupation is coupled to the Location of the Workplace, these are couplings not correlations.

Mid-day, Noon, is a mean value, but one can't assume regression to the mean. At the Equator the "Authority" - Solar Noon - has a whopping 7 1/2 minute time shift.  This is not hidden, but it is overwhelmed by the Equation of Time.  The shifts, on a day-to-day basis do not accumulate to significance on a year-to-year basis. To determine coupling constants is a fools errand.

e.g. http://www.rustprivacy.org/2014/balance/utct.jpg

When people triangulate in their heads they use 3,4,5 triangles to keep the math easy.  For this reason, the Axis length is 500%.  All "shifts" (events which impact Work Life Balance) are vertical. Sorry, the "Day" indicator can't update automatically - it's a PDF.

WDYT?

Best,

--Gannon (J.) Dick ;-) I'm not a commuter, I have a funny name.