From: "Gannon Dick" <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
To: "Eric Mill" <konklone@gmail.com>, "Luca Matteis" <lmatteis@gmail.com>
Cc: "j jakobitsch" <j.jakobitsch@semantic-web.at>, "David Wood" <david@3roundstones.com>, "<public-lod@w3.org> community" <public-lod@w3.org>, "eGov W3C" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:02:09 PM
Subject: Re: Request for Help: US Government Linked Data

FWIW, having been labelled "confused" multiple times through the magic of email forwarding ... :-)

________________________________
 From: Eric Mill <konklone@gmail.com>

My (completely personal, unofficial) request of the LD community, as Project Open Data and its discussion threads grow, is to avoid a general "summoning of the troops" to this stuff.
=======
Yes, avoid "circle the wagons" too.  Data Models are important, and ... (cont.)

=======

One of the things that was made obvious to me by that thread is how painfully easy it is for people who very much have the same awesome shared end goals in mind - more useful government data - to talk past each other. That only gets easier when comments get more emotional, and gauging one's success during a debate becomes a matter of quantity rather than quality.

As I said, I really valued the thread we had - and most especially, I love what POD is doing, and I think the US and Github are going to have a profound impact on how the world views policy making in the long run. The POD project is going to be looked at by governments around the world, and they're going to evaluate POD based on the quality of those discussions (not the outcomes).
=======
... outcomes are a dodgy gauge of Policy with Open Data for well defined reasons - and you do not conflate "well defined" with "benefits the Smartest Guys in the Room most, obviously".  In the Commercial world, the square root of a dollar (or Euro) is 10 dimes, the square root of a dime is a penny and the square root of 2 dollars is $1.41.  Facts just don't understand simple Economics, or something like that.  That said, Open Data does use an odd Coordinate System.  Map Makers will tell you that these maps have little navigation value.  They also expect you to know that the voids cannot be flown over or tunnelled under without a theory to support such an operation.  "Because I think it would be nice if I could" isn't a theory.  There are quite a few other non-theories around too. The regions beyond the length of the Equator+Voids are real, not Outliers.  The shortest distance between two points is the long route around, sometimes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MercTranSph_enhanced.png (no voids - Spherical)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/MercTranEll.png (Elliptical with voids at the boundaries)

1) The voids never go away.
2) Governments and the LD Community cannot treat Outliers as "useless losers who don't get LD".

=======

It's going to be great to having more of those discussions with everyone here, both about LD (and things other than LD!). There's a ton of unblazed trails here, and I'm just so excited to see where they go.

=======
Me too.
=======

-- Eric

The pull request was merged. Great success!

--

@konklone | konklone.com | sunlightfoundation.com | awesomefoundation.org