Re: [euopendata] Classification of open datasets...

From: Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 10:16:55 -0500
To: public-egov-ig <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Maybe this was already covered in this thread, but DCAT and Eurovoc
are complementary, not competing technologies.  For example you could
use dcat:theme [1] to reference a SKOS concept in Eurovoc. I was going
to give an example, but it appears that you can't download the SKOS
XML without being a registered user (which I couldn't figure out how
to do). Also, it looks like the licensing around Eurovoc doesn't
appear to be particularly "open" [2].

It would be great to see some demonstrations of using a thesaurus like
Eurovoc to provide cross-repository topical views of datasets. If
anyone has seen anything like that (using Eurovoc or another
thesaurus) I would greatly appreciate a pointer.

//Ed

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/#property--theme-category
[2] http://eurovoc.europa.eu/drupal/?q=legalnotice&cl=en