Re: Publishing Open Government Data

Nice work ... but ... (you knew that was coming, right?)

I do think that the target audience should be broadened to include a good word for professionalism in the handling of "Open Data",

in general. Agile programming is all well and good, but making a decision
to offer selected parts of a government data set means you are the
gatekeeper and the ethics and integrity issues are on you.  It often
happens that governments' idea of coverage does not fit well in a small
screen, and the largest screens are pretty crowded too.  This is a
programming challenge, but also a problem with the perceptions of full
coverage you leave with users.

I'm looking at you, "Big Data".

Maybe I'm just sore it's taken me a week and a half to get a clean load of 70,000 lines of "Experts" from the GSA. There were thousands of syntax variations (quotes, line feeds, tabs, control characters on and on).  It has become apparent that this is not the GSA's fault, they know who is on the Committees, and
it's not the Experts fault, they know how to write their names and where they work (kinda goes along with "Expert").  Sad to say that this is a
Consultant Generated Interoperability problem all the way.  Nice job
guys, Open Data doesn't need you.

--Gannon

[1] "The document is targeted at developers, government information management staff, website
administrators"