 From: Brand Niemann <bniemann@cox.net>
To: public-egov-ig@w3.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:45 AM
Subject: Review of Next.Data.gov

Announcement: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/07/16/first-look-nextdatagov

Next.Data.gov is far from complete (think of it as a very early beta), but we couldn’t wait to share our design approach and the technical details behind it – knowing that we need your help to make it even better.

New Site: http://next.data.gov/

Information Week (Wyatt Kash) http://www.informationweek.com/government/policy/datagov-gets-updated-a-closer-look/240158634?cid=nl_IW_cio_2013-06-26_html

Version 2.0 of government's data portal relies heavily on open-source platforms, but finding usable data can still be like looking for buried treasure.

But in many respects, the new site is also likely to disappoint die-hard data users as being not much more than a shiny new showroom attached to the same old government data warehouse, a warehouse still in need of operating improvements and accessible data.

Semantic Community (Brand Niemann): Just as I thought, using the following click trail as an example:

Start at: http://next.data.gov/
pick a Community like Safety: http://next.data.gov/safety
pick Resources: http://next.data.gov/safety/safety-resources/
pick the National Map: http://nationalmap.gov/viewer.html
then Click here to go to The National Map Viewer
and Download Platform!: http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/
and you finally get to the data and its display

Bottom line: This is yet another new interface to the old Data.gov interface that eventually takes you (if you are lucky enough to find it) to where the actual data has been for years!

My current efforts for OMB are just starting: http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science/Free_Data_Visualization_and_Analysis_Tools