Re: eGov group transition/Project Open Data

From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:54:45 -0700 (PDT)
To: Brand Niemann <bniemann@cox.net>, "public-egov-ig@w3.org" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "Holm, Jeanne M \\\(1760\\\)" <jeanne.m.holm@jpl.nasa.gov>

I promised a small demo. http://www.rustprivacy.org/faca/ogd/

The examples are unusual, even by my lax standards.

1) Open Government Data Access By Language
    (where else are you going to get a link list of Government Websites in Spanish, or Arabic ?)

Portable Wealth is an interesting subject, because baggage weight restrictions on international flights are  ... never mind ... let's just say every clean sock is priceless nowadays.  Everybody's a refugee.

2) + 3) It occurred to me that Language Skills are a form of Portable Wealth.  So, 2) tells you about the 219 Languages (via the LOC id servers ISO 639-1).  In a pinch, you might be able to use the Government data websites as a safe ad hoc Rosetta Stone for translation in places where search engines might get problematic. 3) is Currencies in use, by Country, roughly for the last 20 years.  The gimmick is that once you've looked up the Currency by name, you can expand the search globally.  This is another way at "Portable Wealth".

Talk to you all tomorrow.

--Gannon