Re: Clay Shirky: How the Internet will (one day) transform government

Hi John,

You wrote...

*in most successful open source projects there is a hierarchy of
contributors:
* Users --- use code, ask questions, suggest features, report bugs
* Developers --- implement fixes and new features, often teaming with others
* Committers --- top-level developers who decide what contributions
will enter the "trunk." In the best projects there are several, they
are wise and they vote fairly
* Project Lead(s) --- Usually an expeditor who helps set priorities.
Sometimes serves as the architect. Sometimes is the final arbiter.*

It's actually possible, and perhaps a powerful idea, to collapse the
hierarchy so that users *implement* features.

We are exploring this with a tool we call Executable English.  It's online
at the site below, shared use is free, and there are no advertisements.

Here's an example of source "code":

  www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/EnergyIndependence1.agent

The system executes it directly, without the need for conventional
programming.

Here are some background slides for the above:

  www.reengineeringllc.com/EnergyIndependence1.pdf

  www.reengineeringllc.com/EnergyIndependence1Video.htm

There is locking, but apart from that there is no edit-control built into
the system.

Apologies if you have seen this before, and thanks for comments.

                                                    -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL
and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

Adrian Walker
Reengineering