Re: Clay Shirky: How the Internet will (one day) transform government

From: Peter Krantz <peter@peterkrantz.se>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:09:58 +0200
To: John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com>
Cc: Chris Beer <chris@codex.net.au>, Bernadette Hyland <bhyland@3roundstones.com>, Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>, public-egov-ig <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
2012/10/10 John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com>:

> What Clay didn't highlight is that in most successful open source
> projects there is a hierarchy of contributors:

An embryo of a more open legislation process is the one recently
implemented in Latvia: http://manabalss.lv/ - it seems to be similar
to the hierarchy of oss project contributors (citizens as feature
requesters, legal professionals as programmers and politicians as core
contributors/patch accepters).

It is described here (if you turn on closed captions in english):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=16VnI7Y9GD4

But instead of having a single tool I guess it would be better if we
had many tools spread over many domains to facilitate this process.

On a related note broad participation can be difficult to achieve,
especially if it requires access to internet and proficiency in using
digital tools. I have heard a lot of people argue that the digital
divide would make initiatives like these decrease influence of many in
a society.

Regards,

Peter
http://www.opengov.se