Re: Clay Shirky: How the Internet will (one day) transform government

From: Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 11:59:51 -0400
To: Tom Lee <tlee@sunlightfoundation.com>
Cc: public-egov-ig <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the pointer to that Sunlight post, I had missed it, and I
think it is a great companion piece to the Shirky talk.

I didn't get the sense from Shirky's presentation that he thought we
just needed to get government using GitHub (yes he simplified the
history of DVCS) and all our problems would be solved. Instead I
thought that he made a pretty eloquent plea for better tools for
participation, so that government can pull as well as push. Democratic
government's can't simply dump data out transparently and expect
everything to work out--although it is an important first step.

By the way, thanks for all the work you and Sunlight folks are doing
to build these new tools :-)

//Ed