Re: W3C EGOV meeting, Monday 26 November 2012, 9:00 - 10:30 London time

From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:19:09 -0800 (PST)
To: Owen Ambur <Owen.Ambur@verizon.net>, 'Serafín Olcoz' <olcoz@ej-gv.es>, 'Tomasz Janowski' <tj@iist.unu.edu>, "public-egov-ig@w3.org" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Cc: 'Andre Cusson' <acusson@01communications.com>, "josema.alonso@fundacionctic.org" <josema.alonso@fundacionctic.org>, ''Carlos E. Jiménez Gómez'\\' <carlosjimenez@ieee.org>

"BTW, with reference to Objective 2.2.d: Dependencies -[Explain] why the procurement involves any dependency on products
belonging to third-party products, it seems to me the focus of the
directive is too much on software applications and too little on data.
Software programming logic should be fungible and subject to change,
whereas data (records) should be persistent and based upon open
standards (like StratML) … and not be burdened with *software* dependencies."

The W3C Standards often depend on "helper" files.  For example a DTD, XSD, or Character Entity files.  This is not a legal or licensing requirement, but rather a real "my gadget displays different results" requirement.

For example, XML has just a few Character Entities Ambersand, Less Than, etc.. while HTML has 50+.  The HTML set may very well be a de facto standard for markup processing, but then two problems arise vis-a-vis XML Open Source:

1) A de facto standard is always a "third-party" product.  Open Source needs transparency to be able to determine *both* compliance and extensions which may affect further processing or reuse.

2) In the W3C Standards world, the "helper" files are text in easily recognizable form.  Local copies can be identified by examining content.  In the App and Mobile Device world, who knows ?  This information might be hard-coded, not searchable and inaccessible for any number of reasons.

What happens to  XML when detached from native enviornment "helper libraries" ?  I don't think ADMS (or StratML) answer this directly, but probably should at least with a policy.

Maybe the subject of a eGov IG Group Note ?