Data Mining / Cloud Computing

From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 15:40:07 -0700 (PDT)
To: "eGov IG \(Public\)" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>

I found these two articles, to say the least, jarring[1,2].

Local Governments, small organizations and individuals have little say in the eventual resolution of these policies.  However, the W3C specifications and validation can be used as a guide for off-line authoring of documents too.  The tools go far beyond beyond simple spell-checking.  While they are rarely in routine use because they cost Enterprise Web Servers precious milliseconds, they are well worth the time to a scholar or researcher working off-line to preserve confidentiality or without access at a remote location.

Using Xerces[3], I've been able to validate (entirely off-line) XML Documents in the following formats:  StratML, JATS Journal Publishing (ANSI), JATS Article Authoring (ANSI), MODS (US LOC), DWML (NOAA) as well as embedded versions in XHTML 1.1.  As soon as I am able to publish examples I will (along with a zip file containing the interlinked XSD Sxhema.  This method is not as "good" as DTD's, but it is much smaller and gets the basics right.

--Gannon

[1] http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/agencies-that-use-google-services-at-risk-of-data-mining-tech-group-says/2012/11/01/3244d6b6-237c-11e2-ac85-e669876c6a24_story.html
[2] (latest commentary) http://safegov.org/
[3] http://xerces.apache.org/