From: Paola Di Maio
Sent:  07/05/2012 9.31.36 pm
To: John Erickson
Cc: eGov IG (Public)
Subject:  Re: what do you mean, e-gov?

John

thanks for reminder of relevant  snippet in the charter, the discussion is
zig zaging a bit, which is sometimes an outcome of evolutionary processes.

Several questions were asked on the list in relation to the scope and
processes of these IG,
various threads came up to deal with these questions

if i remember correctly, this particular thread attempts to get members
provide input into how to  define e-Government (since there is no evidence
how the existing working definition came into being, and whether such a
working definition is relevant/useful to the list member as it is).

The discussion started evaluating the relation e-government - e-democracy.

According to literature (see related threads), is necessary to define
e-government meaningfully within the context of legitimacy (as mandated by
the UN for example)

So basically,  members of this IG seem to agree that e-Government is  (and
must be) a function of democracy,

Its a complex issue,  so far this IG does not seem to have a procedure in
place to enable
the IG members for governance
self referential loop [1])

So, in a complex socio-technical world worldview, e-democracy is the
context (read: constraint, boundary) for what this IG is about

(Discuss?)

PDM

[1]  E-Government, E-Services and Global Processes: Joint IFIP TC 8 and TC
6 International Conferences, EGES 2010 and GISP 2010, Held as Part of WCC
2010, Brisbane, Australia, September 20-23, 2010, Proceeding Page 66