Re: Fwd: what do you mean, e-gov?

This is an amazingly rich and thoughtful discussion --- thanks!

I would like to challenge the assertion that that W3C eGov definition
<http://www.w3.org/egov/> is inadequate. Like all W3C *G's (including
WG's and IG's) the W3C eGov IG includes as it's context "The World"
(which includes many forms of government) and "The Web" (although the
definition is broadened to include other modes of communication.

As I understand it, the W3C eGov IG is about _doing government better
by decreasing the friction of citizen-citizen, citizen-government, and
government-government communications_. It is not a democracy advocacy
group, a human rights advocacy group, or an advocacy group for
particular manifestations of technologies and services. But since it
*is* a W3C group, it is naturally be a projection of the core values
of the W3C (in process as well as content) and inevitably this will
ave a democratic tone...but this is not the core purpose.

Most W3C group charters are a balance between constraint (in order to
get work done) and extensibility (in order to be inclusive of new
views and rapid changes in technology). I think that the current W3C
eGov IG brief strikes this balance --- but am willing to be corrected
;)

John

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.