Re: Twitter use by elected officials

At Sunlight, we maintain a list of official Twitter accounts in our
Congress API:

http://services.sunlightlabs.com/docs/Sunlight_Congress_API/

We do verify each Twitter account to ensure that it's the official
government account, not a campaign or personal account. Here's our process:

1. Identify a Twitter account through Twitter search, Google search, or
other lead (TweetCongress has sent us their lists in the past).
2. If that Twitter account is linked from the member's official house.govor
senate.gov website, we consider it official.
3. If not, we call the member's Washington office to verify.