Re: Government Linked Data Working Group Charter

From: Josh Tauberer <tauberer@govtrack.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:14:49 -0500
To: Pendleton.Michael@epamail.epa.gov
CC: public-egov-ig@w3.org
 > a work product along the lines of a "Linked Open Data Primer for Chief
 > Information Officers."

This is the type of email that makes me glad to still be reading the WG
emails from time to time. An identified need with a proposal for a
concrete, bounded, achievable output.

There are a number of documents on open gov data and linked open data
already, so the question I have is: what aspects of these documents are
or are not useful/convincing/understandable for a government CIO? (For
one, they're probably all too long.)

To highlight my favorites on this subject (including some of my own

Mayo, Ed and Tom Steinberg. The Power of Information: An independent
review. June 2007.

Office of Science and Technology Policy, U.S.A. government. Harnessing
the Power of Digital Data for Science and Society: Report of the
Interagency Working Group on Digital Data to the Committee on Science of
the National Science and Technology Council. January 2009.

Robinson, David G., Yu, Harlan, Zeller, William P. and Felten, Edward W.
Government Data and the Invisible Hand. 2009. Yale Journal of Law &
Technology, Vol. 11, p. 160.

Tauberer, Joshua. Open Data is Civic Capital. May 2009.
(and citations within!)

Tauberer, Joshua. Building a Civic Semantic Web. August 2009. Nodalities.

Uhlir, Paul F. The socioeconomic effects of public sector information on
digital networks: Workshop Summary. U.S. National Committee for CODATA
Board on Research Data and Information Policy and Global Affairs. 2009.

I think all of the relevant information has already been written
somewhere by now, but it may not be in a useful form for this case
(despite everyone's attempt to try).

- Josh Tauberer
- CivicImpulse / GovTrack.us

House as props."