Re: [open-government] Public Data Catalog Priorities and Demand

Hi again with this topic,

I summarised parts of the earlier discussion about "Public Data Catalog
Priorities and Demand" in a loooooong blog post [1]- The image in the
beginning of the post is worth seeing. Below also the part of the post that
I would still love to get your comments.

[1] http://wp.me/p2aPa-2A

Best regards,
Antti Poikola

*
*

*---CLIP---
*

*Categorisation*
The current data catalogues mostly list datasets that are already open, so
the represent a “part of the whole”. It would help the discussions and the
process of prioritising data opening if also the “whole” would be
represented somehow. The realm of possibly publishable datasets (data that
is not sensitive by nature i.e. for privacy or security reasons) that
governments typically have is vast but not unlimited.

It should be possible to build some general level categorisation that would
state that a country (or a city) most probably holds publishable information
in these themes x,y,z…. Of course the countries and cities are different and
collect different information and we may dive deep into the discussions like
“what is considered as government data (big databases vs. individual excel
sheets used by few civil servants)?” and “how do we define a dataset (are
housing price statistics 2010 and 2011 different datasets)?”

Jonathan Gray writes<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-egov-ig/2009Dec/0050.html>
:

Some kind of basic visual ‘map’ to PSI would be interesting, so that the
public holdings of different countries could be directly compared and so you
could get a sense of what was available and what was missing in different
countries.

The report of the 2006 MEPSIR
study<http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/psi/actions_eu/policy_actions/mepsir/index_en.htm>is
one good starting point for general categories of public sector
information (PSI). The study divides PSI in six domains and several
sub-domains. The main domains are: *Business information, Geographic
information, Legal information, Meteorological information, Social data and
Transport information* (see p. 25 chapter 8: Overview of results for the
domains).

Beside MEPSIR, are there any other ready made categorisations? Especially
I’m interested in city-level public data?