Re: recording meetings

From: John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 13:36:01 -0500
To: Brand Niemann <bniemann@cox.net>
Brand Niemann <bniemann@cox.net> asks:
> Interesting discussion - Are we having these presentations because there is
> consideration being given to licensing LOD to protect it (from what), allow
> someone to make money off of it (really), or some other reason?

I think it's more fundamental than that; the eGov community needs a
clear understanding of

* What legal mechanisms (and precedent) are available and/or required
to declare "Open" w.r.t. data?
* What technical mechanisms (vocabulary, markup methodologies) are
available and/or required to assert such terms to machines and people?

There is no "LOD" without the "O," stated clearly. Providers' claims
must be legally valid, unambiguous and accessible by both people and
machines...

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
Director, Web Science Operations