Re: New Open Government Platform code released

Hi,
<<Moved this thread to public GLD WG, not just co-chairs>>

I saw reference to the GLD WG chairs helping here ... this goes way beyond the GLD WG charter [1].  Personally, I agree with several points raised in the thread.  Firstly, international standards bodies/UN/international orgs can fulfill an important role by recommending sensible gTLD strategies and government URI naming schemes.  We're addressing a small part of the later item (URI construction) in a deliverable by the W3C GLD WG which will be reviewed by W3C members and the public in 2012.

If recommendations were defined, it will take individuals, some who are on this list who are in a position to influence their respective governments, to approve it & support uptake of the recommendation(s).  It's a critical bit of infrastructure to both understand & get right.  In the absence of a recommendation/framework, a land grab with undesirable outcomes is likely to ensue.

I'm curious if the strategists advising data.gov.* initiatives have this on their radar as something that is needed and/or perceived as useful to sort out??

Cheers,

Bernadette Hyland
co-chair W3C Government Linked Data Working Group

[1] GLD WG charter: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/