 From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
To: "public-egov-ig@w3.org" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: Bibliographic Resources and Citations

________________________________
 From: Chris Beer <chris@codex.net.au>
To: public-egov-ig@w3.org
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:24 AM

a) Miss me? ;)
Namesake or Incorporation ?  Could you be a bit more specific ? :P

b) Biblio resources are ALWAYS the provenance of the library community, for which there is RDAF metadata
In DCMI speak, a BibliographicResource (Class) is the library community's Collections[1].

c) Citations must always be as the author wants, publisher of the citing works want, or using Harvard et al in RDAF (in order of precedence)
In DCMI speak, a bibliographicCitation (Property) is a link between (untethered) resources in the cloud.  The RDFS domain of bibliographicCitation is BibliographicResource (the cloud)[2].  The web of data does not use the dictionary definition provenance. I guess it is presumed that a Librarian's scarcity of FB Friends, or sucking at Video Games is just punishment for their pendantry.

d) Many Govs have thier own RDF ready (usually Dublin Core, Geonetwork or other stable standard based) descriptor set in use already
e) LOC is not an international thing, nor are Public Domain Marks

Any solution must be agnostic to polity, standard, schema etc, and reinventing the wheel is always ill advised.

Yes, and any Govs or any Library's markup (an Object) can live in this container in existing browsers, moved about with existing transport protocols, with the additional advantage that the XHTML wrapper can be styled for Accessibility with CSS or XSLT.  And besides, I invented this wheel to begin with[3, circa. 2008].
IMHO, the difference between a "Public Domain Mark" and "CC by-sa" is philosophical - literally - "Cogito ergo sum (Descartes)" or "Facio multus sonitus, ergo cogito, ergo sum"[4].   Attribution does not benefit the "career" of Governments and Organizations as important as it may be to people in those Governments and Organizations, including Libraries.  If the "people" favored CC-by-sa is used, it can be used in the citation content.  This is a SOAP Envelope made of XHTML, and in principle any XML envelope can be used.

Invited Expert who isn't time rich but remains dedicated
Better than Invited Experts who are not committed to an Institution, but should be at the first opportunity.  But enough about me :o)

[1] http://dublincore.org/usage/terms/history/#BibliographicResource-001
[2] http://dublincore.org/2010/10/11/dcterms.rdf
[3] http://www.rustprivacy.org/FunForLibrarians.pdf
[4] Descartes is so 17th Century.  "I make a lot of noise, therefore I think, therefore I am. (Gannon's web version)".  There, fixed.

Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com> wrote:

In addition to the E&O hint below, the LOC Subject Heading and Vocabulary pages are served in a blended and dispersed human readable form with links to different formats.  This is great for the LOC, but the different formats do not explicitly carry a Public Domain Mark which Public Sector Information is entitled to.  A different way of registering the Public Sector Information Provenance is a Compound Document (which uses multiple existing Standards, including validation, of course).  This would insure that the (embedded) dataset retains all relevant provenance information.

I made the necessary revisions to the XHTML 1.0 Strict schema to include a DCMI bibliographicCitation tag (container class).  The attributes' list serves as a second document <meta>+ section, specific to the contents of the container.  The container content is not validated, but the attributes list (provenance) is
 validated

      <dct:bibliographicCitation
                   style="display:none;"                                                               // content not displayed
                   type="text/plain;
 charset=utf-8"                                                // XHTML thinks the content-type is text of some kind
                   media="application/json"                                                          // the real content-type is
 JSON
                   dct:alternative="Massachusetts"                                               // the Nickname is Massachusetts
                   dct:identifier="[North America].[United States].[Massachusetts]"  // the full text identifier is ...

 pii:pii="http://purl.org/pii/terms/misc"                                          // there is no Personally Identifiable Information here
                   xlink:type="linkedData"                                                             // this is a collection which may be fragmented at some
 point
                   xlink:role="http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/"   // Public Domain Mark
                   xlink:title="http://www.loc.gov/mads/rdf/v1#Geographic"              // SKOS Top Concept
                   xlink:label="http://www.loc.gov/mads/rdf/v1#authoritativeLabel"    // RDFS Label

 xmlns:dct="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"                                           // the namespaces besides XHTML apply only to this container
                   xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
                   xmlns:pii="http://purl.org/pii/terms/">
      <![CDATA[    RDF/JSON/Chicago Style/Zotero/etc.         ]]>
...</body>

This should be useful to Governments, NGO's, Libraries smaller commercial organizations, etc. in tracing
 dispersed Public Sector Information back to the source.  The example documents validate, but I'm going to hold off posting the whole package in case I hear any suggestions for improvement.  There is not much point to making this a formal specification, but it will be very handy for certain *cough* SOPA *cough* problems.

--Gannon