From: Sean McGrath <sean.mcgrath@propylon.com>
To: Submit to W3C Egov IG <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wed, September 1, 2010 7:52:55 AM
Subject: Re: XML Fever

Mike,

The picture you describe is, I think, closer to the vision of s-expressions[1].
I.e. a single structural form that allows the encoding of both code and data. A
form that takes the view that code and data are really the same thing.

XML has much in common with Lisp-like representations of s-expressions but XML
is not a pleasant syntax to use when creating s-expressions. Having said that,
Lisp syntax is not most folks idea of fun either, but the Lisp family have
languages have tremendous lore in the area of combining data and code
(behavior). See [2] and [3].

For interesting pushback on the comparison, see [4]

regards,
Sean

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-expression
[2]