Re: My NAFTA

From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:23:40 -0700 (PDT)
To: Niemann.Brand@epamail.epa.gov
Cc: W3C eGov Interest Group <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Thanks Brand.  I've been doing an OS update all morning.  I am very glad to be done with that.  My primary source is the CIA World Factbook, but a very close second is the UN LOCODE data base here : http://www.unece.org/cefact/locode/  This was not on your UN Data list.  In ACCESS, there are Country, Subdivision, and Port Codes (77k Ports).

Do you have any suggestions on formats which might make the files more easily accessible for Spotfire ?  Right now I have the source in OO Base (which has very fancy SQL available)  I dump queries to a spreadsheet and then PERL it to XML.

Does the data update automatically (or nearly so) ?

There are "only" 106 local capitals involved for the NAFTA partners, so I think I'll make a page with sunlight (daylight) calculations, as a way to avoid (until next week) the tedious work of verifying the "My World" files :o)

--Gannon