Hi Thomas,

On 23/11/2010 17:00, Thomas Bandholtz wrote:
Hi Brian,

this looks like a valuable contribution.
Thank you.  Just a start I think.
I also came in contact with your colleague Stuart Williams who is working on bathing water quality data in Cube Data RDF.
Indeed - I shall wave across the room to him :)

If you want to participate this group you may also try a W3C Invited Expert Application:
http://www.w3.org/2004/08/invexp.
Whilst I have a strong interest in eGov in general, until I learn to do with less sleep, I should keep focused on sustainability and environmental stuff.  If the eGov group does work on environmental LOD then we can look at whether I have a contribution to make and how best to make it.

There should be some home for Linked Environment Data workers somewhere anyway.
Yes I agree.
A W3C eGov project would be fine, but it may also be hosted by the EEA or JRC.
EEA = European Environment Agency[1]?  JRC = EU Joint Research Centre [2]?

Indeed, though I am unfamiliar with those organisations.  I personally, based on past experience, have a lot of respect for the open, global and principalled approach of W3C.  Which is not to say that the organisations you mention are not open or principalled - only that I am unfamiliar with them.

I do think that there is more to environmental data than government data - well I would - I'm working on data flow along supply chains.  But I also think that government collects a lot of relevant data and is good position to take a lead.  It also seems to me that this is a common topic affecting all governments.

I sense a growing interest in environmental LOD.  If we were to write a list of groups working in the space, how long do you think it would be?
We'll be talking about that at the Ecoinformatics meeting early December.
Which meeting is that?

Brian

Best,
Thomas
[1] http://www.eea.europa.eu/
[2] http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/jrc/index.cfm

Am 22.11.2010 15:21, schrieb Brian McBride:
G'day
> Am 19.11.2010 16:17, schrieb Michael Hausenblas:
>>> My contribution would be around the use case of Linked Environment Data
>>> http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Linked_Environment_Data
>> +1

I too have a strong interest in linked environmental data.

> Our Green and Sustainable IT unit [1] has some interesting contributions
> regarding this topic as well.

I am working on the Earthster project which is working on publishing Life Cycle Assessment
data as LOD.  There is a strawman LCA ontology at [1]

As we are not a W3C member we are not able to be Participants (with a capital 'P')
but are contributing in this area.

> I guess this could best be fit into the planned eGov IG.

> I am pleased to hear you found out that green is green ;-)
> Does this unit has also data about power consumption and  environmental
> life cycle assessment which should be published and linked?

We are working on both data and tools for that.

Brian

[1] http://code.google.com/p/earthster/

--
Thomas Bandholtz, thomas.bandholtz@innoq.com, http://www.innoq.com
innoQ Deutschland GmbH, Halskestr. 17, D-40880 Ratingen, Germany