Re: Geo in RDF (was Re: Censorship?)

Hello Boris,

On 13/11/2010 15:11, Boris Villazón Terrazas wrote:
> Hi Stuart
>
> We recently exchanged some emails, thanks to Michael Hausenblas.
Indeed we did...
> However, this is my first post this mailing list.
>
> I only want to point out our ongoing work in the context of the GeoLinkedData
> [1], in which  we are working with geospatial data. Basically, we are using
> geo:lat/geo:long style of giving position in WGS84 coordinates. A geospatial
> resource, for example a geoes:Provincia, has a geo:geometry, and this
> geo:geometry consists of a set of geo:points , and each geo:point consists of
> geo:lat and geo:long. You can find a figure describing this at [2].
I've got a minor question wrt to the use of geoes:order in the diagram at [2].
It seems to be giving the ordinal position of a Point in a LineString. It seems
to me that there isn't a single value of geoes:order which applies to a given
point... it depends on what LineString the point is being included in.
> A specific example, the resource Albacete Provincia at [3].
> Also, we have a browser at [4].
>
> I think this is related with the discussion.
> We can provide further information regarding the conversion from GML to RDF we
> performed.

I think that the details of your conversion are fairly clear in your
presentation at http://www.slideshare.net/boricles/geo-upmv14boris

What I am looking for is a *widely* adopted practice, perferably backed/endorsed
by a defacto or de-jure standards organisation. I don't think I have found such
a beast except for the case of Point positions expressed as WGS 84 lat/long in
which case there is widespread community practice in the use of the "Basic Geo
(WGS84 lat/long) Vocabulary" [a].
[a] http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/

For curves (LineStrings), surfaces(Polygons) and  Boxes (Envelopes), the Geo OWL
vocabulary at [b,c] which mirrors GeoRSS GML [d] seems to me to come close to
being something that a common practice might develop around, however it does
'camp' in an opengis.org namespace without obvious endorsement from the OGC
(unless I missed finding that, which is perfectly possible).

[b] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/geo/XGR-geo-20071023/#owl
[c]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/geo/XGR-geo-20071023/W3C_XGR_Geo_files/geo_2007.owl
[d] http://www.georss.org/gml#GeoRSS_GML

I think Gannon was making a point about localized re-invention of vocabulary
either being inevitable or maybe accidental - either way it mitigates against
the widespread adoption of a common practice and potentially linits the reuse of
data assets published using a particular local practice. It also mitigates
against tooling, developing to support such things as spatial-indexes in SPARQL
stores, because without the use of common vocabularies you loose the triggers
that would induce index building - and responsive UIs seeking to display
artefacts within spatial bounding boxes could well do with the help a spatial
index could give.

> Best
>
> Boris Villazón-Terrazas
>

> geo: http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos#
> [1]: http://geo.linkeddata.es/
> [2]: http://mccarthy.dia.fi.upm.es/challenge/example1.png
> [3]: http://geo.linkeddata.es/page/resource/Provincia/Albacete
> [4]: http://geo.linkeddata.es/browser/

BR

Stuart
--

Epimorphics Ltd                        www.epimorphics.com
Court Lodge, 105 High Street, Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT

Epimorphics Ltd. is a limited company registered in England (number 7016688)
Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High Street, Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT, UK