Does the user care about URLs? (another thread from Re: Censorship?)

Hi Chris - thanks for the thought-provoking questions below about "does
the user care?"....

URL/URI structure IS important on the back-end, to help us do a better job
managing our information.  A good Info Architecture helps you organize,
categorize & manage your information, but I don't think end users care
about it

They might care about the domain that comes up in search results -- to
verify that the site they want to click on is "trusted" -- but as long as
people can go to Google or Bing & find what they are looking for, I don't
think they care about URI.

On a related note, did you see that the US Govt has passed the Plain
Writing Act of 2010, requiring US Federal Govt agencies to use “writing
that is clear, concise, well-organized and follows best practices
appropriate to the subject or field and intended audience”

Read the text of the Act here:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-946

This will have implications (in the US) for helping people understand WHAT
the data is about, and WHY they should care about it.

So for everyone on this list who loves "data".....please remember that
data cannot stand alone - "words" are also important, to put data into the
proper context. :-)

Thanks!
-Rachel
-------------------------------
Rachel Flagg
Co-Chair, Federal Web Managers Council
Center for Customer Service Excellence
Office of Citizen Services and Innovative Technologies
U.S. General Services Administration
rachel.flagg@gsa.gov
www.WebContent.gov -- Better websites. Better service.

Chris Beer <chris@e-beer.net.au>
Sent by: public-egov-ig-request@w3.org
11/08/2010 01:29 PM
Please respond to
chris@e-beer.net.au

Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
cc
Mike Norton <xsideofparadise@yahoo.com>, W3C e-Gov IG
<public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Subject
Re: Censorship?

1) Mike - your messages are indeed going to list. :)

2) Gannon - Lat/Long has gone the way of the nautical mile - GIS changes
the game and is far more accurate anyway - just pop your state name and
coordinates in a controlled vocabulary or thesarus and away you go. GIS
also moves beyond tieing physical borders to dry land as it is absolute
positioning. (The classic example of use being a river as a border between
two states. The two states have an agreement that one bank is the actual
border (i.e - one state actually owns the river) - so what happens when
the river floods? Does one state get larger and the other smaller?)

While the idea of creating the perfect system is indeed nice and
interesting to discuss theoretically, it isn't realistic - there is just
too much time and investment in the current model by states and business
(and standards groups) to consider changing things. It doesn't matter
whether US Government Data makes more semantic sense expressed as
us.gov.data than data.gov - it won't change anytime soon. (That's not to
say someone won't build a User Agent with some sort of in built semantic
URI parser - which is a far more likely realisation of your suggestion
Mike, and one I wouldn't mind seeing :) )

I think that Mikes' proposal raises a few interesting points that are well
worth discussion by any modern e-government. Namely : In the world of
today's internet, and the future semantic web, what does a URI look like?
Or rather, what does your e-governments' online information architecture
look like? Is there as consistent standard structure to your URI's that
assist citizens in finding information quickly and semantically? And is
there any actual benefit to this?

If I type "Data USA" into my browser address bar (which you can in the
latest ones and it will work), does it matter if the result returned is
data.gov, or if it is public.statistics.omb.gov/datasets (fake URI -
example only)? Or is all that matters that the browser points you to
http://209.251.180.38. Does the user care?

Would be curious to hear the opinions of list members as a sideline to the
regular and less theoreticaly LOD work the group is doing, just because
discussion is good.

Cheers

Chris