ISSUE-38 (whyAccessUrl): Drop dcat:accessUrl, use the URI of the dcat:Download resource instead [dcat]

From: eGovernment Interest Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:41:38 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-egov-ig@w3.org

ISSUE-38 (whyAccessUrl): Drop dcat:accessUrl, use the URI of the dcat:Download resource instead [dcat]

http://www.w3.org/egov/IG/track/issues/38

Raised by: Ed Summers
On product: dcat

Raised by Ed Summers:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-egov-ig/2010May/0056.html

I must admit I am a little bit perplexed by the use of dcat:accessUrl to describe a dcat:Download. The usage note indicates that:

"""
accessUrl of the Download distribution should be a direct download link (a one-click access to the data file).
"""

It makes me wonder if we should instead be recommending that the URI for the dcat:Download be the actual URI for the download. So for example:

 ex:dataset1 a dcat:Dataset ;
     dcat:distribution ex:download1 .

 ex:download1 a dcat:Download ;
     dcat:accessURL  <http://example.gov/downloads/1> ;
     dct:format "text/csv" .

would become:

 ex:dataset1 a dcat:Dataset ;
     dcat:distribution <http://example.gov/downloads/1> .

 <http://example.gov/downloads/1> dct:format "text/csv" .

See how the intermediary resource (probably a blank node in practice) goes away? I think the same could be said of dcat:Feed.