Technical issues impacting government use of linked data

From: Cory Casanave <cory-c@modeldriven.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:21:56 -0500
To: <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
On the demo call today we discussed a couple of technical issues that
impact but are not specific to government.  These are:

1)       That given a data URI, there is no standard way to
programmatically access the metadata about the resource.

2)       That given a data URI there is no standard programmatic way to
access a SPARQL query point for that resource and/or for associated
resources.

3)       That the metadata accessed should have standard links for
provenance - even very simple provenance that does not require research

4)       How do we contextualize a query such that all data resources of
interest within a certain context are included in a query, without the
user having to know all the details of the data sets involved?

All of the above could be accomplished with URI conventions and
supporting ontologies.   My question is: What are the existing or
proposed conventions and ontologies to satisfy these requirements?
Should the eGov group provide or reference such conventions for use by
the government and/or within our government demos?

Regards,

Cory Casanave