RE: Potential project: Supporting the Linked Data Consumer

From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 15:32:11 -0700 (PDT)
To: Tim Davies <tim@practicalparticipation.co.uk>, Cory Casanave <cory-c@modeldriven.com>
Cc: public-egov-ig@w3.org

What is suggested to Cory was this slightly alternative synthesis of "Mash-Up" based on a model from Natural Science (Biochemistry).  I feel this will be easier to grasp for many working Scientists and Engineers for whom a computer is primarily an organizational tool and not a part of the Discipline they practice.  These people are large consumers of Linked Data.

I have to pay some homage to what a Mash-Up is NOT.

1. It is not linear algebra or simultaneous equations. The columns of a CSV are not coupled, and too easily dismissed as a sort of "Graphic Numerology" if one is not careful.
2. A Mash-up is not Chaos, no matter how cool it might be to toss Smale Horseshoes around.  Complexity and Uncertainty are two different things.
3. A Mash-Up is not a computation, it is a mapping.  Shipping Channels do not need Reefs and vice-versa, but both belong on a Harbor Pilot's chart.

I will send you the presentation and "teachers guide" I sent Cory under a separate cover and perhaps you elaborate on what you are doing ...
--Gannon Dick