Re: Raw-data-now

From: Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray@okfn.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:45:55 +0000
To: Jose Manuel Alonso <josema.alonso@fundacionctic.org>
Cc: Peter Krantz <peter.krantz@gmail.com>, Antti Poikola <antti.poikola@gmail.com>, george <george@thomas.name>, Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, public-egov-ig <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
I should add that we've been thinking about creating a new site at
rawdatanow.com (domain kindly donated by Tom Heath) for
individuals/organisations thinking about publishing their 'raw data' -
to expand upon what we mean by this phrase and offer guidance and
links to relevant resources.

Thread is here:

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Jose Manuel Alonso
<josema.alonso@fundacionctic.org> wrote:
> El 23/01/2010, a las 15:29, Peter Krantz escribió:
>> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:38, Antti Poikola <antti.poikola@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I believe that there should be some pragmatic way to publish raw data at
>>> the
>>> same time while continuing to develope the information architecture. How
>>> this should be communicated to the managers of different public offices?
>> I have had some success in explaining a three step process:
>> 1. Publish whatever you have in whatever format it currently is in.
>> This provides data for people to start tinkering with and ask
>> questions about.
>> 2. While data is out there, start thinking about the context it lives
>> in. We are looking at harmonizing the way agencies publish their
>> vocabularies as a first step (e.g. OWL).
>> 3. Gradually adapt your data to make it use common identifiers for
>> common things.
> +1
> We are currently using this approach in a project.
> I would say we are also doing a 1.5: describing metadata properly. I must
> say that, although doing it this way is ok, usefulness of 1. in many cases
> is quite low. Stupid example: <weather date="12643488000000" type="0" />
> Yeah, today at 10am it was cloudy around here...
> -- Jose

Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation