Re: Raw-data-now

From: Jose Manuel Alonso <josema.alonso@fundacionctic.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:34:44 +0100
Cc: Antti Poikola <antti.poikola@gmail.com>, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray@okfn.org>, george <george@thomas.name>, Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, public-egov-ig <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
To: Peter Krantz <peter.krantz@gmail.com>
El 23/01/2010, a las 15:29, Peter Krantz escribió:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:38, Antti Poikola
> <antti.poikola@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I believe that there should be some pragmatic way to publish raw
>> data at the
>> same time while continuing to develope the information
>> architecture. How
>> this should be communicated to the managers of different public
>> offices?
>>

> I have had some success in explaining a three step process:
>
> 1. Publish whatever you have in whatever format it currently is in.
> This provides data for people to start tinkering with and ask
> questions about.
> 2. While data is out there, start thinking about the context it lives
> in. We are looking at harmonizing the way agencies publish their
> vocabularies as a first step (e.g. OWL).
> 3. Gradually adapt your data to make it use common identifiers for
> common things.

+1

We are currently using this approach in a project.
I would say we are also doing a 1.5: describing metadata properly. I
must say that, although doing it this way is ok, usefulness of 1. in
many cases is quite low. Stupid example: <weather
date="12643488000000" type="0" />

Yeah, today at 10am it was cloudy around here...

-- Jose