Re: Raw-data-now

From: Peter Krantz <peter.krantz@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:29:54 +0100
To: Antti Poikola <antti.poikola@gmail.com>
Cc: Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray@okfn.org>, george <george@thomas.name>, Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, public-egov-ig <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:38, Antti Poikola <antti.poikola@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that there should be some pragmatic way to publish raw data at the
> same time while continuing to develope the information architecture. How
> this should be communicated to the managers of different public offices?

I have had some success in explaining a three step process:

1. Publish whatever you have in whatever format it currently is in.
This provides data for people to start tinkering with and ask
questions about.
2. While data is out there, start thinking about the context it lives
in. We are looking at harmonizing the way agencies publish their
vocabularies as a first step (e.g. OWL).
3. Gradually adapt your data to make it use common identifiers for
common things.

Regards,

Peter