From: community-bounces@open-services.net
[mailto:community-bounces@open-services.net] On Behalf Of Geoffrey M
Clemm
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:58 AM
To: Steve K Speicher
Cc: community@open-services.net; community-bounces@open-services.net
Subject: Re: [OSLC] Generating language bindings for the OSLC interfaces

I agree with Andy that a highly desirable deliverable from this
workgroup should be a set of standard language bindings (so every client
doesn't have to roll their own).

I agree with Steve that #1 is the way to go, for the reasons he states.

One simple way to start would be to create a page on open-services.net
for "language bindings", and let community members post whether they are
interested in:
- the languages they are interested in helping to define/implement a
standard binding
- the languages they are interested in using

I believe it is essential that the "OSLC binding" for a given language
is consistent across all the OSLC domains.   One approach could be to
have a single "binding for language X" effort, rather than a separate
effort for each OSLC domain.

Cheers,
Geoff

Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

community@open-services.net

02/03/2010 08:29 AM

Re: [OSLC] Generating language bindings for the OSLC interfaces

Sent by:

community-bounces@open-services.net

________________________________

Andy,

For CM domain I see it playing out as #1 as most of the interfaces
define deeper semantics on REST style hat can't be exposed easily in
most commonly available tools that I'm aware of.   We see this now with
Eclipse Mylyn and their exposure of a consumer Java API.  I see
JavaScript bindings to be of interest as well.  I have not heard of any
C#/C++ requests as of yet, though PHP (as a service provider) I have.
Now speaking for Rational products that use the CM interfaces, we
utilize common code (both Java and JS) which has been manually
developed.

Regards,
Steve Speicher | IBM Rational Software | (919) 254-0645