Draft - Publishing Government Data Online (was e: Raw-data-now)

Hi Jose, Ed, all

I do remember that Jose :) I refer someone around here to that gem every
couple of days (you'd think he'd take the time to book mark it!
(Semantic joke - ;P ). Seriously though - I'm wondering if a) Ed means a
real step-by-step how-to on datasets and metadata specifically as
opposed to the more general nature of the Draft doc we've got and b)
with regards to the Draft doc - either way we really should make a
priority effort (when we're not working Project items) to finalise it.
What's left to be done on it - Editing? Review? RFC?

Prehaps if we formalised it sooner than later as "Stable Version 1"
published in the IG space, we could actually start using the working
draft in the Wiki space and go ahead and make it a living document in
that sense, with regular releases/updates and say, 6 month version
milestones? Similiar say to how W3C standards are developed.

My real concern at this point is that (for instance) a search on
"Publishing Open Government Data" and W3C returns over 100,000 search
results - this document is seeing wide dissemination, and VEY likely
citation. The quicker we formalise a first stable version out of draft,
the better IMO.

I'm eager and willing to get the ball rolling here, as I'm sure Daniel,
Adam, yourself and others likely are. While it is probably worth
discussing as an agenda item in the next telecon, there is no reason we
can't kick things off now - discussion in a formal meeting environment
doesn't equal action necessarily, and technically IG members are within
scope to start editing on the Wiki if I don't miss my mark. So who's up
for it! *puts up hand and looks around the list*

This document has obviously become a cornerstone of our work as far as
the online public is concerned. I think we owe to our "stakeholders" to
keep it up to date and more than a draft. It will also serve as a great
overview page potentially linking in for all of the Projects, and
associated supporting documents (such as the PDF how-to guide) that the
IG produces.

Cheers as always

Chris