RE: Ed and Outreadch Opportunity

Chris, w/re the points in your message below, because PDF is now an open standard, users are not required to have Adobe products in order to create PDFs.  Of course, Adobe will continue to strive to make its tools and services as desirable as possible so that folks may prefer to use them.  However, other alternatives are available.

For example, XML Simplicity’s StratML Editorial Portal already exceeds your suggestion for “one click save as PDF.”  *No* clicks are required.  PDFs are automatically transformed from StratML (XML) files: http://xml.gov/stratml/index.htm#XMLSimplicity  RTFs are also automatically created, thus meeting Australia’s accessibility standard (although the XML and HTML renditions should also meet accessibility standards).

Adobe’s PDF Fillable form for StratML includes an icon to use Acrobat.com to create PDFs:  http://xml.gov/stratml/forms/StrategicPlan.pdf

Joe Carmel is working on incorporating XSL-FO into his XForm for StratML, which already includes an XML+XSL button to apply an HTML stylesheet.  See http://xml.gov/stratml/index.htm#Carmel or, more specifically, http://xmldatasets.net/XF2/stratmlxform3.xml   In addition, he’s working on a “cataloging” button to produce the kind of metadata you are suggesting.

Even Corel supports automated conversion of documents from their proprietary formats into PDF.  PDFs can also be opened for editing in WordPerfect (with some loss of fidelity).  Unfortunately, though, Corel doesn’t provide much support for XML.  http://apps.corel.com/partners_developers/casb/serviceb/puttogether/pubpdf/index.htm

It will be interesting to see the impact of i4i’s patent infringement lawsuit on the ability of MS to support the authoring and editing of “custom” XML (like StratML documents) in the Office Suite.  Ictect has provided a StratML Quick Start Guide for MS Word users, in DOC and PDF format:  http://xml.gov/stratml/index.htm#Ictect

BTW, on February 18, Federal Computer Week is hosting a breakfast session hosted by Adobe on how to craft open gov plans.  See http://xml.gov/index.asp#February or, more specifically, http://custom.1105govinfo.com/events/adobe-transparency/home.aspx

I am encouraging GPO and GSA to provide an “official” standard XSL-FO transforming agency open gov plans from StratML (XML) to PDF.

Owen