Re: [dcat] Tomorrow's dcat Agenda

From: William Waites <william.waites@okfn.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:40:25 +0100
To: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>
CC: Cory Casanave <cory-c@modeldriven.com>, public-egov-ig@w3.org, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
On 10-04-22 19:53, Erik Wilde wrote:
> and in the same way as you don't give the world SQL access to your
> relational data, my guess is that you won't give the world SPARQL
> access to your RDF data; the main reasons being that you want to be
> able to enforce constraints, exercise access control, control
> optimized access paths, and you want the services to be independent of
> implementation details.

FWIW, data.gov.uk and ckan.net both do make a habit of making SPARQL
access available to the world. Without write operations, of course, and
with resource restrictions. I think that it is not unusual to have both
dereferenceable URIs and a SPARQL endpoint.

Cheers,
-w

--
William Waites           <william.waites@okfn.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation