suggestions on dcat design (was Re: [dcat] Tomorrow's dcat Agenda)

From: Li Ding <lidingpku@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:28:26 -0400
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>, Cory Casanave <cory-c@modeldriven.com>, public-egov-ig@w3.org, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Richard,

I was not able to join DCAT meeting yesterday due to conflicting
telecon. but I did check the IRC.  I have some comments about the DCAT
vocabulary.
1. modular vocabulary with minimal core.
2. choice of term. I'm worrying that some terms in dcat are not well
defined and may cause confusion.  e.g.
   dcat:dataQuality - the range could be really wild,
   dcat:keyword  - why not use dct:subject  or skos concepts
3. best practices for actual usage.
    Your demo [1] is interesting but I bet a normal web user could get
confused on that.

more details about my comments can be found at  [2][3].

[1] http://lab.linkeddata.deri.ie/govcat/directory/CategoryScheme
[2] http://tw.rpi.edu/weblog/2010/04/23/three-principles-for-building-government-dataset-catalog-vocabulary/
[3] http://data-gov.tw.rpi.edu/wiki/TWC_Data-gov_Vocabulary_Proposal

best,