RE: [dcat] Tomorrow's dcat Agenda

Erik,
Sounds like some convergence!
Re: we should look at services

[cbc] Certainly we should!  We need both generic services for query/CRUD
on data (like RDF or XML) as well as purpose specific services that are
computationally or transactional oriented.

Re: my guess is that you won't give the world SPARQL access to your RDF
data

[cbc] Wrong guess for our concerns and also those of open government.
We absolutely need a query across "configurations" of the internet data
model (whatever it is).  That is THE prime motivation.  Should such
mechanisms have access restrictions? sure, and you can use most of those
in place.  However there is a vast amount of information that is either
fully open or can be "closed" using course grain mechanisms that we
already have for any web resource.  So we can use SPARQL for these more
open or granular resources until finer grain rights management is better
defined.  If you try and define point services for every data path need
you will be making such services forever.

If you are suggesting we should define a custom service for each access
into generic data, I would strongly disagree.  Note that I am a strong
supporter of SOA, I authored much of the SoaML modeling specification,
but like any paradigm, don't see it is needed everywhere.  Query and
even CRUD on internet data can and should be more generic and used by
services as needed.  If you try and define point services for every data
path need you will be making such services forever.

-Cory