Washington Post op-ed on open government policies

From: J.H. Snider <snider@isolon.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:10:20 -0400
To: <public-egov-ig@w3.org>

This list has been focusing on the nitty gritty of developing open
government standards.  For a big picture, non-technical look at some of the
public policy issues, you might be interested in my op-ed, Maryland's
2662.html>  Fake Open Government, published in yesterday's Washington Post.
This is an abbreviated version of my essay, Deterring
<http://www.iap2.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=429>  Fake Public
Participation, published in the January 2010 issue of the International
Journal of Public Participation.

For a different type of open government ontology than is currently on the
public policy agenda, you might be interested in my working
ng--WorkingPaper.pdf>  paper and accompanying presentation
<http://www.ftc.gov/opp/workshops/news/mar9/docs/snider.pdf> , "Automating
Conflict-of-Interest Reporting," which proposes a conflict-of-interest
ontology to simplify and automate the many thousands of fiduciary laws
currently on the books.  It was presented at the March 10, 2010 U.S. Federal
Trade Commission Workshop on How Will Journalism Survive the Internet Age?.

--Jim Snider

J.H. Snider, MBA, Ph.D.

Web:  <http://www.isolon.org/> www.isolon.org