Re: generic list of public data sources

Hi all,

On 29.10.2009, at 16:58, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> We've also got over 680 (mostly) open data packages listed on CKAN, an
> open source registry of open data: http://ckan.net/

the Opendata Network Germany is also working on setting up a "opendata
directory" for Germany. We have been talking to Jonathan on this
already. We are still researching and trying to find out if the CKAN
format fits our needs. Never the less we think CKAN is a great project
and we should ensure interoperability of  these kind of directories /
open government data catalogues and that they can be connected / cross
searched via APIs.

> See, e.g.:
>
>  * Linking Open Data group
>    - http://ckan.net/group/lod
>  * Packages as part of EU Open Data Inventory (alpha)
>    - http://ckan.net/tag/read/eutransparency
>  * Search for tags including 'country-[...]'
>    - http://ckan.net/package/search?q=country-&search=Search+Packages+%C2%BB
>
> There are hopefully over 1000 UK government datasets on the way, as
> data.gov.uk is using CKAN. Regarding categories, we've found a
> flexible tag based approach quite useful.
>
> It would be great to ensure interoperability between CKAN and other
> open government data catalogues - so different bits of the 'open data
> ecosystem' can all talk to each other! We've started talking to Peter
> about this a bit regarding opengov.se.
>
> Out of interest - would anyone be interested in having an online
> meeting about this? E.g. next Tuesday (3rd November) evening at 1800
> GMT?

I Love this Idea, so we could find out what others in other countries
think about this.

Kind regards
Daniel Dietrich

--