From: public-egov-ig-request@w3.org <public-egov-ig-request@w3.org>
To: 'public-egov-ig@w3.org' <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wed Oct 14 21:35:54 2009
Subject: Introduction and G'day

Hello friendly e-gov list server members

I've just joined the e-gov IG and thought I'd drop a line to introduce myself.

My name is Chris Beer and I'm currently working in the Web Services area of the Australian Government's Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations.

I've been in IT for over 15 years now, most of it in web publishing or design and development of some sort. I'm a bit of an open source information junkie, and I've spent my time (amongst other things) editing on wikipedia, dmoz and other open source information resources. This love of transparent information and collaboration has of course inevitably led, now that I've returned to government service, to my developing a fairly keen interest in e-Gov and gov2.0 standards and initiatives, web accessibility and related things such as HTML 5.0 and what it will mean for the future of the web and information.

Currently in my work I handle the migration of web content of varying ages and across over 200 sites into the main Departmental web portal. I also advise (in a continuing uphill battle mind you) on IA, Analytics and SEO (ie: making it easier for the public to find our information) as well as researching and developing emerging and future web technologies that are of interest to the Department - Social Networking, Collaboration and other similar things, as the Department has an ongoing interest in e-Government initiatives. I also make myself annoying by staying up to date with all of this sort of thing and constantly (gently mind you) suggesting ideas and concepts to people at the decision making level around here.

Anyway, happy to be here, and I hope to somehow add something of value to the interest group's discussions. I'm also happy to help out any way I can.

Cheers all!

Chris Beer
Web Services Officer

Web Services | Communications Delivery Branch
Australian Government Department of Education,
Employment and Workplace Relations

Notice: The information contained in this email message and any attached files may be confidential information, and may also be the subject of legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure or copying of this email is unauthorised. If you received this email in error, please notify the DEEWR Service Desk by calling (02) 6240 9999 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.