From: public-egov-ig-request@w3.org <public-egov-ig-request@w3.org>
To: Owen Ambur <Owen.Ambur@verizon.net>; eGov IG <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wed May 27 05:41:48 2009
Subject: RE: charter and publication wrt W3C Process

Interesting conversation.

To my knowledge there are many existing standards for describing information resources, from the bibliographic (eg Dublin Core), through to data type specific (eg GEMINI2 for geographic information in the UK), through to government specific (eg we have something called the e-Government Metadata Standard in the UK).

What I am not convinced about is the need for *another* standard on top of those we already have. What is so special about "government information"? We have just about every type of information that everyone else has.

Instead, I see a classic interoperability problem. Different people will want to capture different types of metadata, about different types of information resource. From an e-Gov IG perspective, isn't it better to explain how this information (the metadata) could be made more interoperable? (rather than say it should all conform to the same schema?)

I wrote a think-piece on this topic for an event in Madrid about "Information Asset Registers" that sets our my position more fully.

http://www.epsiplus.net/events/thematic_meetings/information_standards/standards_meeting_3/information_asset_registers_opsi_discussion_paper

Starting from where we are, we should publish human readable descriptions of information assets on the web, in XHTML, and we can publish machine interpretable descriptions at the *same time* using RDFa. Then let RDF take the interoperability strain - it's what it was designed for. It's possible (in fact easy) to build services that aid discovery, for example by harvesting the RDF and exposing it via SPARQL. We don't all need to use the same XML Schema - nor should we, especially when we want to say different things about the information that we hold.

I do not think we need a common XML Schema for describing government information assets; moreover, even if such a thing was desirable, I doubt such a thing is possible or achievable.

OK, so maybe I'm like the guy with a hammer (RDFa), for whom every problem looks like a nail - but thinking about how we can evolve existing catalogue descriptions of information resources, in an interoperable way (in a linked data way), seems to me to be a better strategy than a new XML Schema?