Re: charter and publication wrt W3C Process

At 06:19 AM 5/18/2009, Jose M. Alonso wrote:
>* Do we want eGov Activity to hold more than one group? What for?
>   + every group would need a separate charter, deliverables, etc.

I agree that we should continue to operate under one charter and
perhaps make the Task Force goals more explicit.  Also, create a
clear structure for how the TF activities relate to each other.  If
these grow to substantially different kinds of activities or
diverging topics, we could consider forming charters for additional groups.

>* If we want current group alone:
>   + do we want it to publish normative stuff?
>     (we need a WG then)

Unsure about this...interested to hear group input.

>* What sort of deliverables do we want to produce?
>   + a new W3C recommendation?
>    (note that even BPs can be recs, such as MWBP [8])

Yes, recommendations most certainly should be one deliverable and
MWBP is a good example.

>   + a set of small docs with guidance?
>    (could be recs or not)

I am not sure what these "small docs" would do that would not be
included in BP and the rewritten Note, but am open to suggestion. Are
you thinking of technical documents that would be more of a
how-to?  a series of case studies of particularly effective
practices?  The suite of ARIA documents could be a model, I
suppose.  This one requires more consideration and could be decided
after being chartered, is that not so?  or do we need to state our
entire scope of work at the time of charter?

>   + a second version of the Note?
>    (no need to be a rec, as you know)

Yes, the Note must be rewritten for coherence, narrative flow,
conclusions, etc.

>In summary: going normative is "stronger" but has more implications:
>patent policy matters, strongest coordination with other groups, more
>process-related stuff to deal with...

If we are saying that we will produce normative standards and expect
eGov practitioners around the world to begin to claim "conformance"
to these standards,  that is a mighty undertaking.  Think of the
arduous processes around WCAG2 and HTML5.  Also, eGov is a bit less
easily defined because of cultural influences, history, forms of
government etc.  I would advise that we not commit to normative
output at this time, but as previously stated, happy to hear another
point of view.

Please let me know if this is the type of input needed and/or if I
have overlooked any questions.

Thanks,
Sharron