RE: data.gov.* memo

From: Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:04:45 -0400
To: "'Peter Krantz'" <peter.krantz@gmail.com>
Cc: "'Novak, Kevin'" <KevinNovak@aia.org>, "'Acar, Suzanne'" <Suzanne.Acar@ic.fbi.gov>, <daniel@citizencontact.com>, <jonathan.gray@okfn.org>, <josema@w3.org>, <public-egov-ig@w3.org>, <John.Sheridan@nationalarchives.gov.uk>, <site-policy@w3.org>, "'Schweickhardt, Reynold \(CTO\)'" <rschweickhardt@gpo.gov>, "'Todd Vincent'" <todd.vincent@xmllegal.org>, "'Anne Washington'" <washingtona@acm.org>, "'Owen Ambur'" <Owen.Ambur@verizon.net>
Hi Peter,

I agree with you, for XHTML and HTML-based data, something like the
following (recommended by Creative Commons) could be very useful.

	<a rel="license" href="
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ ">
	Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States

But my hunch is governments won't want to point to a resource outside their

What if the CIO_Council/White House/GPO/LOC/FirstGov/ established copyright
URIs like http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ and asked the
Federal government (or even just their agency) to point to those pages as
needed?  OTOH, if something like this already exists within the government,
I think its use should be promoted.

Many Federal websites (if not all) have Privacy Policies and many of them
are using P3P to accomplish this requirement
l) so adding copyright policy pages might not be a huge leap.

At http://www.opsi.gov.uk/about/copyright-notice.htm "The permission to
reproduce Crown protected material does not extend to any material on this
site which is identified as being the copyright of a third party."   John:
How are those copyrighted materials identified?