[minutes] eGov IG Chairs call, 11 Feb 2009

From: Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:15:52 +0100
To: eGov IG <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Cc: John Sheridan <John.Sheridan@nationalarchives.gov.uk>, Kevin Novak <kevinnovak@aia.org>, Karen Myers <karen@w3.org>

Online at:

and as text below.

-- Jose

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                eGovernment Interest Group Teleconference

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2009/02/11-egov-irc

           john, josema, oscar, kevin, Karen

           john, kevin

      * [3]Topics

    ->[4]http://www.epractice.eu/workshop/40 Public Services 2.0

       [4] http://www.epractice.eu/workshop/40

    [jose ranting for a while about "new" vs. "old" terms]

    [some talk on social media use]

    jose: is it possible to syndicate content to those sites?

    kevin: yes, I believe there are RSS-like ways to do this

    jose: why we do not succeed as others? e.g. barcamps and the like
    that use same topics but get much more interest

    kevin: you made a good point in saying that people may be scared of
    ... seen as too technical

    jose: sometimes I see W3C is perceived as closed

    kevin: barcamps and the like usually have sponsors
    ... same as web managers roundtables, cost is very cheap
    ... but they have sponsors, too

    [jose on how W3C usually works]

    [on "industry standardization"]

    kevin: I agree, the organization may need big changes, but this is
    bigger than us

    john: I agree with you both very much
    ... we are in a space that is getting an extraordinary interest
    ... and there are new technologies, new ways of interacting, new
    terms! e.g. "goverati"
    ... we need to find mechanisms to reduce the perception of being
    ... we need to find a way of working that makes sense to W3C while
    also exploring
    ... new ways of interaction
    ... a W3C event has a different kind of energy than that of a
    ... sometimes people can be very detrimental when going too
    technical about discussions ??

    john: simple example, jose twitted about the uploading of latest OGD
    draft, I retwitted
    ... I have 200 people from UK government following me
    ... took me three seconds

    jose: besides that, should we focus just on the first two topics

    kevin: I think so, maybe a bit later in time
    ... we need to get the draft out first

    john: I'm a little bit concerned about saying that we should go
    ahead just with those at this time

    [scribe missed a couple Kevin's comments]

    [Karen joins the call]

    [jose summarizes for Karen]

    kevin: along the same line we discussed in DC at lunch time

    karen: we are working on setting up the type of people that should
    attend the meeting
    ... based on info provided by jose
    ... need also people to talk to press, maybe blog and the like
    ... are you already doing so?

    kevin: time is limited but happy to do so, I'm more than willing

    karen: how much time would be available before, during or after the

    kevin: we have the F2F on 12-13 March in DC
    ... I also filled the Member survey
    ... and proposed topic for the AC Meeting
    ... need to raise the level of awareness within W3C
    ... also jose's point important, we are different from other Groups
    ... we need some media strategy on how to outreach

    <ocr> :)

    <john> AMEE link: [5]http://www.amee.com/

       [5] http://www.amee.com/

    [need to decide on the invited speaker]

    <john> I'm going to have to dash off (sorry - but will check back on

    karen: I'll bring this to Comm on next call and come back to you

    john: we really see the DC event as an important opportunity on the
    OGD and Transparency and Participation

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]

     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [6]scribe.perl version 1.133
     ([7]CVS log)
     $Date: 2009/02/11 17:14:04 $

       [6] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
       [7] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/