W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-egov-ig@w3.org > February 2009

[minutes] eGov IG call, 4 Feb 2009

From: Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:49:33 +0100
Message-Id: <69D5FE23-C9CD-41C2-A152-FBCCB4674AA9@w3.org>
To: eGov IG <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Cc: Kevin Novak <kevinnovak@aia.org>, John Sheridan <John.Sheridan@nationalarchives.gov.uk>

Draft minutes available at:

   http://www.w3.org/2009/02/04-egov-minutes

and as text below.

They'll be declared final on Friday first in my morning (CET), so any  
comments by then please.
Next Group meeting: 18 Feb 2009; 14:00Z

Summary (hope I got it right):

* Reviewed all actions, most stay as is
* Some people volunteered to develop some document sections further  
and start discussion about them on the listserv
   + Identification and Authentication (Daniel)
   + Your Website is your API (John, Daniel)
   + Long term data management (Chris)
   + Social Media, Participation (Rachel)
* RESOLUTION: 25 February is deadline to provide content for the FPWD
* Participation, social media, transparency, OGD... topics of high  
interest, booking more time for them on the F2F agenda
* Owen, Rachel, outreaching to more people working on those topics to  
have them attending the F2F
* Discussion on the importance of making aware people setting up the  
social networks group at W3C or take care ourselves of specific eGov  
issues related to social networks
   + Jose to invite staff coordinating this to join a Group call
* All interested in using social media tools for the Group's benefit  
and fun
   + we need a tag
   + chris to open a facebook group


-- Jose


-------------------
    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                eGovernment Interest Group Teleconference

04 Feb 2009

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2009/02/04-egov-irc

Attendees

    Present
           josema, john, Daniel_Bennett, Rachel, Brand (part), Owen,
           oscar, chris

    Regrets
           kjetil, kevin

    Chair
           john

    Scribe
           josema, john (part)

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Appoint a scribe
          2. [5]Convene, agenda adjustments, new Members around?
          3. [6]Open Actions
          4. [7]Editor's draft
          5. [8]Graduating Use Cases
          6. [9]What's going on?
          7. [10]F2F @ AIA (12-13 March 2009) -- Status Update
      _________________________________________________________


    <trackbot> Date: 04 February 2009

    <Daniel_Bennett> new member here- Daniel Bennett - Washington, DC

    welcome, daniel!

Appoint a scribe

    <scribe> scribe: josema

Convene, agenda adjustments, new Members around?

    john: any additions?

    [none heard]

    john: Daniel, can you introduce yourself?

    daniel: based in DC, working on Internet communication and standards
    since 1993
    ... former co-chair of Legislative XML? at OASIS

    <john> good idea

    <Daniel_Bennett> jose, where is the log?

    Brand: just joined the Group, co-Chairing federal community on data
    interoperability
    ... we are organizing a conference with international speakers,
    everybody interested drop me a note

Open Actions

    [11]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/open]

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/open

    [john gives some context for new Members]

    [19 open actions]

    ACTION-3 ?

    <trackbot> ACTION-3 -- Kevin Novak to get in touch with AIIM and
    ASCX12 -- due 2009-01-05 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [12]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/3

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/3

    ACTION-14 ?

    <trackbot> ACTION-14 -- John Sheridan to share how he justified the
    business decision of becoming W3C Members -- due 2008-10-30 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [13]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/14

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/14

    john: this one is important and I also encourage others to think
    about

    action-15?

    <trackbot> ACTION-15 -- Martin Mollema to elaborate on what exists
    wrt 7. Identification and Authentication (G2C) -- due 2008-11-12 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot> [14]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/15

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/15

    john: martin changed jobs and is about to leave the Group
    ... anybody want to take responsibility for this one?

    daniel: I have interest and background

    <Daniel_Bennett> will work on
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/15 -Daniel

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/15

    trackbot, comment action-15 dainel to review

    <trackbot> ACTION-15 Elaborate on what exists wrt 7. Identification
    and Authentication (G2C) notes added

    action-19?

    <trackbot> ACTION-19 -- Martin Mollema to find use case for number
    9. your web site is your API -- due 2008-11-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [16]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/19

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/19

    action-20?

    <trackbot> ACTION-20 -- John Sheridan to help with use case for
    number 9. your web site is your API -- due 2008-11-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [17]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/20

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/20

    john: I can take these two

    daniel: can also help

    action-21?

    <trackbot> ACTION-21 -- John Sheridan to find people within the
    organization to build use case to illustrate 5. Digital Preservation
    + Authenticity + Temporal Degradation -- due 2008-11-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [18]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/21

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/21

    leave open, too

    action-22?

    <trackbot> ACTION-22 -- to find use case on 6. I.P. Expression
    unassigned -- due 2008-11-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [19]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/22

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/22

    action-23?

    <trackbot> ACTION-23 -- to find use case for 4. Data Sharing Policy
    Expression -- due 2008-11-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [20]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/23

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/23

    action-24?

    <trackbot> ACTION-24 -- Oscar Azanon Esteire to elaborate on what
    exists wrt 7. Identification and Authentication (G2C) -- due
    2008-11-12 -- CLOSED

    <trackbot> [21]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/24

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/24

    <Zakim> josema, you wanted to talk about use cases vs. group note

    josema: most actions on use cases, given the group note development,
    would it be better to put the effort there?

    john: step one could be to post thoughts to the listserv as a place
    to start
    ... maybe we could turn the actions into posting something to the
    Group
    ... any thoughts?

    [none heard]

    action-27?

    <trackbot> ACTION-27 -- Benjamin Nguyen to work on 12. Temporal
    Data: legislation/legal and geospatial -- due 2008-11-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/27

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/27

    action-28?

    <trackbot> ACTION-28 -- John Sheridan to work on 12. Temporal Data:
    legislation/legal and geospatial -- due 2008-11-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [23]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/28

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/28

    action-29?

    <trackbot> ACTION-29 -- John Sheridan to work on 3. Performance Data
    and Citizen Choice -- due 2008-11-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [24]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/29

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/29

    action-31?

    <trackbot> ACTION-31 -- Josť Manuel Alonso to find route for
    SEMIC.EU to be engaged in the IG and provide cases for 1. Semantic
    Interoperability -- due 2008-11-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [25]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/31

      [25] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/31

    action-32?

    <trackbot> ACTION-32 -- Josť Manuel Alonso to talk to the
    DBPedia/LOD people/Ivan Herman about using the Linked Data/DBPedia
    approach for 10. What Data? -- due 2008-11-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [26]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/32

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/32

    action-34?

    <trackbot> ACTION-34 -- Anne Washington to document "Handle" use for
    THOMAS as use case for 2.Persistent URIs -- due 2008-11-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [27]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/34

      [27] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/34

    john: anne and me have been exchanging private email about this and
    our projects in the UK and USA

    chris:I can help with that

    action-36?

    <trackbot> ACTION-36 -- John Sheridan to post and ask around about
    4, 6, 13 -- due 2008-11-19 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [28]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/36

      [28] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/36

    action-42?

    <trackbot> ACTION-42 -- Rachel Flagg to provide use case on social
    media -- due 2009-01-28 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [29]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/42

      [29] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/42

    [john on our position paper:
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/msnws/papers/egov-social-ws]

      [30] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/msnws/papers/egov-social-ws

    rachel: if there's another W3C Group working on this we should just
    coordinate

    [31]social networks workshop report]

      [31] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/msnws/report

    [32]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SocialWebXGCharter]

      [32] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SocialWebXGCharter

    daniel: the general w3c social network group misses some specific
    eGov issues such as the need for political jurisdiction being added
    to XFN, FOAF, etc

    owen: In the US some .gov agencies are blocking access to social
    media sites due to security and record-keeping concerns.

    john: I think this is getting increasingly important and there are
    things we must want to say
    ... raise with them our particular eGov issues

    josema: we can invite Dom to discuss more in detail, he coordinates
    this area at W3C

    <Owen> Other groups considering social media more generically may
    not focus on government-specific policy issues.

    john: I think it's a very hot topic

    daniel: not anything in the agenda abut standards to communicate
    with governments using this technology?

    john: in terms of where we go is more about how government is
    increasing the use of social media channels

    john on [33]http://poit.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/]

      [33] http://poit.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/

    <john> [34]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7867285.stm

      [34] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7867285.stm

    john: different way of doing things, opening up for comments,
    communicating better with people
    ... the report was published both, a more social media approach and
    a regular one

    rachel: we also have a group focusing on social media
    ... will try to have one of the co-Chairs attending the F2F
    ... interest on us producing a use case?

    josema: yes

    john: yes

    +1000 !

    <josema> +1000!

    daniel: yes

    rachel: I will extend an invitation to ?? at EPA to attend F2F

    owen: I know one of EPA's records officers. Will ask her to
    coordinate with Jeffry Levy with respect to the social media use
    case.

    action-43?

    <trackbot> ACTION-43 -- Rachel Flagg to provide use case on \"plain
    language\" -- due 2009-01-28 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [35]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/43

      [35] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/43

    rachel: this one is almost done

Editor's draft

    [36]Group Note]

      [36] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/Group/docs/note

    <john> I'll scribe for this bit

    <john> most complete section is Open Gov Data

    <john> structure of doc: intro (Kevin), modalities (John), 6 topic
    areas

    <john> structure agreed some months ago - aim to have first draft
    done by next Monday, then suggestions from Group, then freeze at end
    of Feb

    <Owen> The US Fed Web Managers Council's paper on social media is
    available at
    [37]http://www.usa.gov/webcontent/documents/SocialMediaFed%20Govt_Ba
    rriersPotentialSolutions.pdf

      [37] http://www.usa.gov/webcontent/documents/SocialMediaFed%20Govt_BarriersPotentialSolutions.pdf

    <john> aim to publish week before F2F in March

    john: if some others are interested in contributing, just please say
    so
    ... please review the six sections and say so, anyone?

    josema: on that it's not required to do _everything_ for the FPWD

    rachel: I can help with Participation??

    daniel: me, too ??

    john: what about interop?
    ... multi-channel?
    ... id & auth?

    daniel: I can volunteer to do this one
    ... timeline?

    [jose on timeline and differences between FPWD and final doc]

    chris: I can do the long term one

    john: important message for us to convey is that open standards are
    key to acheive it

    RESOLUTION: 25 February is deadline to provide content for the FPWD

Graduating Use Cases

    ->[38]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/UseCases/doc/how-does-it-work
    Use Cases

      [38] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/UseCases/doc/how-does-it-work

    [working on that, almost done, will ping the Group later in time
    when ready]

What's going on?

    [[+ Obama Memo: "Transparency and Open Government"

    [39]http://www.govexec.com/execorders/opengov012109.pdf

      [39] http://www.govexec.com/execorders/opengov012109.pdf

    + Beta version of UK POI TF Report released

    [40]http://poit.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/poit/

      [40] http://poit.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/poit/

    + debrief of recent UK Barcamp

    [41]http://www.ukgovweb.org/

      [41] http://www.ukgovweb.org/

    + upcoming US barcamps

    [42]http://transparencycamp.eventbrite.com

      [42] http://transparencycamp.eventbrite.com/

    [43]http://barcamp.org/Government20Camp

      [43] http://barcamp.org/Government20Camp

    + ePractice "Public Services 2.0" workshop

    [44]http://www.epractice.eu/workshop/40

      [44] http://www.epractice.eu/workshop/40

    ]]

    john: at the barcamp two main issues where OGD and government use of
    social media
    ... same main topics as in the POI report
    ... is that other people's experience wrt importance of the topics?

    chris: those are very key, and I have Obama's memo on my hand now
    ... [scribe missed]

    daniel: the issues of Open Data Standards for Gov and Social
    Networking is very big, but they subsume many other issues.

    rachel: huge issues for us here??

    chris: "digital natives" have different expectations and are
    becoming a big piece of the workforce and the culture

    john: do you think that we are entering a new era in 2009 wrt these
    two issues?

    rachel: absolutely
    ... they are getting huge

    daniel: one more thing, not all forms of communication have to do
    with the Web, does the use of phones/SMS/iphone/WAP come up for this
    group?

    rachel: good point, also about getting access to the technology ??

    <Daniel_Bennett> no, iphone here. Google's Android instead

F2F @ AIA (12-13 March 2009) -- Status Update

    [45]F2F2]

      [45] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/F2F2

    [josema on how the F2F is being prepared]

    daniel: any formal invitation to folks in the legislative branch of
    the US gov ??

    josema: nope

    john: in terms of Group's work and topics of interest for the
    community
    ... I think the first two issues are the most attractive

    chris: +1 to focus on those and build on the memo

    daniel: how participation is different from OGD?

    chris: goes across

    john: participation for me is one of the outcomes you achieve when
    using things like social media tools
    ... transparency, openness are also key things government try to
    accomplish

    take up next agendum

    dainel: I miss metadata standardization in OGD agenda item

    john: opening up the topic

    rachel: I'm all for that

    chris: +1

    <Daniel_Bennett> daniel: +1

    <john> we need a #tag

    <john> for everything - twitter, flickr, youtube etc

    <Daniel_Bennett> suggestion #w3cigegov

    <john> what about just #egov? or too cheeky?

    <john> exactly - w3c is like a gov

    <john> it has its ideas about whats good for us

    [on how this is already affecting the governments]

    <john> ecosystem of official avenues and other places

    <Daniel_Bennett> our use of Facebook, Twitter, etc should mirror
    what is on the group's site and wiki

    owen: we need to be clear on the vision, government records should
    be posted in publicly readily shareable formats

    <Daniel_Bennett> which probably reflect what government should also
    do

    chris: I think that's the goal, more about syndication

    [all agree about using those channels beside W3C's]

    john: anything else to add?

    [nothing heard]

    [ADJOURNED]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [46]scribe.perl version 1.133
     ([47]CVS log)
     $Date: 2009/02/04 17:21:03 $

      [46] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [47] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 4 February 2009 17:50:18 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 4 February 2009 17:50:18 GMT