[Fwd: Re: Public Data Catalog Priorities and Demand]

All

Fowarding this on (mostly for Joses benefit). Orginally I forgot to
Reply-To-All when replying to Antti and so I copied and pasted my reply
to the list. Antti replied directly back to me, so I'm forwarding that
on for the benefit of the ongoing discussion. Plus it will make my
replies make sense! :)

Cheers

Chris

====================================

"Hello Chris,

I'm glad to read your comments, I'm learning a lot.

Just to give you background: I'm currently writing a guide book about
opening up PSI in Finland (for the Ministry of communications and
transportation). I also help the Finnish government in their early ideas
about the national data catalog.

>> * How would the "national registry of lakes", "geodata of high voltage
>> electric network", "public job vacancies" and "directory of restaurants
>> holding licence to serve alcohol" for example relate to the universe of
>> PSI?
>>

> Interesting questions - and I started writing a long reply addressing it,
> but I'm stopping to ask "how do you mean "relates to" - as in where it
> would sit? How it would be classified?

By saying "relates to" I mean that, how those examples are parts of the
whole.

>> * If there is, let's say some thousand, datasets in data.gov, is there
>> any analysis or wild guesses of how many is missing 10 000, 50 000, 100
>> 000, 500 000?
>>

> I'd say most, but that there is probably not as many as you'd think. And
> I'm including data.gov.* in that. (We have to as a group remain
> international in focus :) )

Definitely international focus! I just used data.gov as an well known
example, but I'm also familiar with the http://data.australia.gov.au and
many others. It would be nice to see some comparison between the content
of different national catalogs, what is similar and what is different etc.

> Many seem to include "views" of data in the
> term "missing datasets" - I think that if one could identify what
> datasets
> are primary (something I'll expand on once I find what you meant above),
> then we could generate a lot of other datasets from these. I guess what
> I'm saying is its probably just as important to ask how many datasets out
> there
> are dependent on other datasets for their data.

That is very good point and leeds to the observation that most
organizations that are often seen as data providers actually consume
data from other sources, add something of their own, agregate, mix,
analyse etc. and then produce new datasets.

The rule of thumb in opening the data seems to be that is should be
opened as close to raw/primary data source as possible.

>> * Is there any analysis what is popularily used and what is pure noise
>> and not interesting to any developers, democracy advocates or anybody?
>>

> I know in Australia there is - it's something our Bureau of Statistics
> looks at. From memory, GIS, Labour Market and Population data are
> popular,
> as is weather information. I'd say it's all interesting to someone. "If
> you build it they will come" - ie: What would be popular if people were
> able to use any dataset, if they could, or knew how, or knew what to use
> it for? Prehaps its just that developers and others haven't come up with
> good applications for the data yet.

Yes, I agree with the notion that "it is all usefull to someone", but
for practical reasons some sort of importance priorities would be
usefull. It's true that these priorities are easily biased by the
existing open datasets that are popular, because they have been open for
some time and developers have had time to develope their ideas.

> Looking at Jose's reply below btw - in Australia the "most important"
> PSI based on citizen usage of services using the PSI is Weather
> information.
> Followed by (in no order) Tax, Employment and Social Security. Combined
> with Spain its not much, but I'm betting that if you got similar
> information from other places you'd see a pattern emerge: people are
> interesting in information that affects them.

 From Finland I would add to the list public transportation data and in
the States the crime data seem to be popular for some (maybe cultural)
reason.

> Its like there is a lack of interest data as information for the greater
> good, such as the country (any more than they care about the sources and
> background of the headline story in the news. They read the story, they
> get passionate, they buy a latte and talk about it for 15 minutes with
> friends. They go back to work - they don't generally start their own in
> depth expose on the story.). There is an assumption that there is someone
> out there who knows what to do with that data and is paid well to do so.
> And that eventually the important bits will filter down into something
> that the individual can use.
>
> Generally they (for instance) won't be interested in things such as
> migration rates, annual rainfall, or leading economic indicators, so much
> as "Where do *I* get a job", "Will it rain on *my* party this weekend" or
> "Can I get a rebate for this on *my* tax" etc.
>
> However when drilling down to this personal application of data, I think
> there will always be a need to leverage off that top level primary data
> that comes across as "pure noise" in some cases because the uses for it
> aren't immediately obvious.
>
> Is it possible or feasible to "weight" datasets as to what is important
> and what is not? Does popular = important? Personally I think it's all
> vital, and the concept of openess and transparancy means ultimately,
> where
> possible, it all needs to go up, regardless of if it gets used regularily
> or not.

I would say that popular is not equal to important. The ecosystem of
open data (network of people and organizations using and producing data)
is evolving now fast. First comes the show-cases from popular data and a
bit later the really important cases hopefully follow.

> (Thought for the day? : Only one person may ever look at a dataset
> relating to GIS data and observatories for instance, but that one person
> might be Stephen Hawkings, and that one use of that one dataset by that
> one person might change the world.)

Thanks for your thoughts and hope to continue the discussion with you.
As I said before, I very much like the ideology behind your Stephen
Hawkings story. Newer the less, my inner pragmatist keeps asking for
some priorities because "seeing is believing" and the movement of open
data gets faster when there are some visible show-cases.

-Antti Poikola"

> Cheers
>
> Chris
>

>> I found these two analysis about data.gov:
>> http://blog.programmableweb.com/2009/07/20/whats-in-datagov/
>> http://data-gov.tw.rpi.edu/wiki/File:Data-gov-cloud-200910.png
>>

>> Jose Manuel Alonso kirjoitti:
>>
>>> My guess based on current experience is that this is not easy to
>>> compile. A national (Spain) report on eGov recently released states
>>> that the two most important information sets at regional (state) level
>>> for citizens are: organization chart and public job vacancies.
>>>
>> Any link to that?
>>

>>> Said that, there are much more variables that have an impact in an
>>> open data project. We have identified 20+ important ones, some are
>>> technical, some are organizational, some are policy-related... it's a
>>> tough and complicated issue.
>>>
>> Mind of sharing those 20+ at some wikipage where we could discuss those?
>>

>>> Just my 2 euro cents :-)
>>>
>>> -- Jose

Forwarded message 1

> [...]

> it for? Prehaps its just that developers and others haven't come up with
> good applications for the data yet.

Yes, I agree with the notion that "it is all usefull to someone", but
for practical reasons some sort of importance priorities would be
usefull. It's true that these priorities are easily biased by the
existing open datasets that are popular, because they have been open for
some time and developers have had time to develope their ideas.

> Looking at Jose's reply below btw - in Australia the "most important" PSI
> based on citizen usage of services using the PSI is Weather information.
> Followed by (in no order) Tax, Employment and Social Security. Combined
> with Spain its not much, but I'm betting that if you got similar
> information from other places you'd see a pattern emerge: people are
> interesting in information that affects them.

 From Finland I would add to the list public transportation data and in