Re: Legislation on the web...

Hi everyone,

I recently joined the list-serv and am the author of the handles document quoted below. It was released to the Congressional community but I understand that there is a public release in the works. The intention was to help staffers distribute both internal and external links to bills. A handle is a redirect created for digital preservation (see http://www.handle.net/faq.html). The commercial publishers use DOIs, which are the same technology. The current link structure for legislation has not changed. A handle is an additional access point that provides predictable links over the long-term. Please note that there are handles to THOMAS as well, just remove the dash lis(-lis) at the end.  I coordinated the design and implemented the project if anyone has any questions about it.

To clarify the origins of congressional information, THOMAS combines three sets of data. First, documents only come from GPO where they finalize and print texts received from Congress (the bill itself, committee reports). Second, the metadata or transaction aspects of legislation (cosponsors, votes, consideration) originate from the databases of the House and Senate. Finally, CRS adds the summaries as mandated by the 1936 statue USC 166(d)(6) in addition to other items.

Returning to Peter's original question about data and standards, both chambers of Congress (House and Senate) jointly work on a project to draft bills in XML. The House has sponsored the public website http://xml.house.gov at least since 2001, as I recall. The current DTD (this project was started in the days of SGML) and schema are available. There is a whitepaper about how they created the XML drafting system http://xml.house.gov/drafting.htm

From talking to colleagues at state legislatures and national legislatures, it seems we share many similar issues.  I'd be interested in learning more about how W3C standards could be used so legal information can be more easily shared and accessed.

>>> "John Wonderlich" <johnwonderlich@gmail.com> 10:27 AM Wed, 10-Sep 2008 >>>

Hi Kevin,

In case it's helpful, I've appended at the end of this email the document that Daniel Bennett prepared on the "legislative handles" system for permanent bill URLs, which he has sent to the Open House Project google group.  Manually entering the new URLs works for existing legislation, although there aren't yet links to autogenerated stable URLs from THOMAS pages yet.

As far as I know, the current situation with funding for THOMAS upgrades stands with the Legislative Branch Approps subcommittee tentatively approving language in the report for the current years approps directing THOMAS to report back on the feasibility of data level access to legislative information, though this is bogged down in the current approps situation (with Congress expected to pass a Continuing Resolution rather than approps bills).  Here's Rob Pierson from Honda's office discussing the report language:

http://groups.google.com/group/openhouseproject/browse_thread/thread/903b3f1cef0a7c81/c394ec00c157033d?lnk=gst&q=pierson#c394ec00c157033d

And here's the document that Daniel Bennett prepared on "legislative handles":

Legislative Handles
 (which can be used as Tags/Metadata/Citations)

LIS announces Legislative Handles, a new persistent URL service for creating links to legislative documents. Legislative Handles are a convenient way to cite legislation from either LIS (http://www.congress.gov) or THOMAS (http://thomas.loc.gov). With a simple syntax, Handles make it easy to link to legislation while writing emails or coding web pages.
Handles are web addresses that do not change over time. The goal of the Handles project is to minimize the impact of any future search engine or database changes by providing persistent predictable links. The current link structure for LIS and THOMAS has not changed. See How to Build Links to Thomas for more information about the current structure.
How to create a Legislative Handle
To create a Legislative Handle, start with http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/ followed by the collection name, legislation. Add a period and the congress number,110. Finally, add a period, the bill abbreviation and the bill number. Add a -lis to link to LIS. Without the suffix, the Handle will resolve to THOMAS.
http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.110hconres196
http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.110hconres196-lis
To learn the specifics for building any Handle, see Syntax below.
How Legislative Handles work
A Handle is a form of uniform resource identifier (URI) that resolves to a uniform resource locator (URL). As a stable pointer, the Handle will not change even if the underlying URL changes over time or the object moves to a new directory. The Global Handle Registry(TM) is run by CNRI (Corporation for National Research Initiatives), making it possible to resolve Handles from any computer on any network. The actual page URL, not the Handle, is shown in the browser address bar when the page is displayed.
Handles are being introduced in stages and will cover past congresses and additional legislative document types. See Schedule below. Handles are pre-registered, meaning they are created in bulk. The maximum value of the Handle registered is identified on the schedule.
HANDLE SYNTAX
General Syntax - - Legislation (BSS) Syntax
GENERAL SYNTAX for any Legislative Handle
Handle Server http://hdl.loc.gov/

Naming Authorityloc.uscongress/
Identifier - Collection legislation.
Identifier - Item 110hconres4544-
Identifier - Suffix lis

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.110hr4544-lis

The Handle server is the existing proxy server at the Library of Congress.
http://hdl.loc.gov

The naming authority has two parts. The primary naming authority (loc) is managed by the Library of Congress and the secondary naming authority (loc.uscongress) is managed by CRS.
loc.uscongress
The collection identifier is the legislative document or database. In addition to legislation, we anticipate having Handles for the congressional record, nominations and others.
legislation
The item identifier uniquely describes one item in a collection. It contains a series of subparts that logically divide the content within the collection. The unique identifier syntax depends on the collection.
110hconres4544
The suffix indicates whether the Handle will resolve to THOMAS or to LIS. Without a suffix, the Handle will resolve to THOMAS.
-lis
Handle punctuation
Numbers will *not* use zero padding.
A slash will be used as a delimiter between
- the Handle server and the naming authority hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress
- the naming authority and the item identifier loc.uscongress/legislation.110hconres4544
A period will be used as a delimiter between
- subdivisions of the naming authority loc.uscongress
- the collection and the item legislation.110hconres4544
- repeated occurences of a numbers in the item identifier treaty.110.34
A dash will be used as a delimiter before the suffix -lis

LEGISLATION SYNTAX (Bill Summary and Status database)
http:// hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.###( s | sjres | sconres | sres | hr | hjres | hconres | hres )###-lis
The collection name, legislation, is followed by a period and the Congress number.
The bill type abbreviation (s | sjres | sconres | sres | hr | hjres | hconres | hres) is followed immediately by the bill number.
http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.110s254

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.110sjres10-lis

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.110sconres33-lis

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.110sres69-lis