RE: Legislation on the web...

From: Owen Ambur <Owen.Ambur@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 11:51:39 -0400
To: <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "'StratML'" <STRATML@LISTSERV.AIIM.ORG>, "'STEPHEN BOUCHARD'" <sbouchard@comp.state.md.us>

Although we have not planned to do so in the first release of the Strategy
Markup Language (StratML) standard, at some point we will want to include
elements enabling referencing of the legal authorities (citations and links)
under which each goal and objective is being pursued.
http://xml.gov/stratml/draft/StratMLCoreGlossary.xml &
http://xml.gov/stratml/draft/StrategicPlanCore.xsd

It would be nice if there were an international standardized way of doing
so.

BTW, to the degree that laws may be vague, aside from costly and
unpredictable interpretation by the courts, what better way to understand
them than based upon what .gov agencies actually plan to *do* about them
(i.e., their goals and objectives) -- in terms that are measurable and
meaningful to citizens and taxpayers?

Owen Ambur
Co-Chair Emeritus, xmlCoP
Co-Chair, AIIM StratML Committee