W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-egov-ig@w3.org > September 2008

[minutes] eGov IG call - 3 Sept 2008

From: Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:31:23 +0200
Message-Id: <C87C171F-4027-4004-B3C1-8D53C145AF1D@w3.org>
To: public-egov-ig@w3.org
Cc: benhlima@emi.ac.ma, Roberto Castaldo <r.castaldo@iol.it>

Hi all,
The draft minutes are posted at:
   http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-egov-minutes
and attached as text below.
Please, review and provide comments.
It was especially challenging the identification of who was saying  
what and to what person the phone number corresponded. Please, let us  
know if your name is not there of if you see a known phone number that  
you could help us identify.
Once again, please send regrets in advance if you are not planning to  
participate in the call.
Thanks to all that participated and hope to see those who could not at  
the next call. Thanks Kjetil for scribing.
Next meeting: 17 September
               Laila Benhlima to scribe, Roberto Castaldo on deck
Best,
Jose.
--
Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org>    W3C/CTIC
eGovernment Lead                  http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/

------------
    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                eGovernment Interest Group Teleconference

3 Sep 2008

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/03-egov-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Katie Haritos-Shea, Josema, Kevin, Owen, Kjetil, Benjamin,
           Chris, Rachel, Ari, Trond, Pasquale (IRC only),
           +1.301.455.aaaa, +39.25.aabb, +1.202.256.aaee,
           +1.301.384.aaff

    Regrets
    Chair
           Josema, Kevin

    Scribe
           Kjetil, Josema

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Convene, agenda adjustments
          2. [5]Introductions - new people onboard
          3. [6]Review of open action items
          4. [7]Group Activity Plan
          5. [8]Face to Face Meeting
          6. [9]Liaisons: review
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

     [11]Previous: 2008-07-09]

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-egov-minutes


    <josema> kjetil, are you around?

    <josema> you are supposed to scribe today

    <kjetil> josema, yeah, but phone problems

    <josema> scribe: josema

Convene, agenda adjustments

    kevin: welcome everybody, thanks for coming

    josema: apologies for sending the documents so late

Introductions - new people onboard

    [introducing new Members]

    [Tanya, John not here, jose and Kevin give short intro]

    <scribe> scribe: kjetil

    [Ari mentions Openhouse project by Sunlight]

    trond: representative from Oracle
    ... previously worked for the European Commission

    josema: Martin Mollema (NL) is not around either, joining the Group
    soon

    josema: I got regrets from a few people, but not all, so it is
    difficult to know who is on the call
    ... please send us your regrets to the mailing list, or the chairs
    ... we have to pre-book ports on the conference system, so please
    let us know a little in advance

Review of open action items

    <josema> [12]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/open

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/open

    josema: mentions some long acronyms we should be in touch with
    ... we are chartered to find ways to cooperate

    [reviewing some of liaisons here]

    [Kevin is reporting on ongoing efforts to establish collaborations]

    [potential joint event with OASIS in March in DC]

    [The World Bank could provide room and some logistics]

    [late March]

    [talked about funding, they are putting together an internal
    proposal??]

    [talked about open standards and the use in their projects]

    Kevin to speak at [13]FIRM event on September, 24th]

      [13] ]http://xml.gov/documents/completed/firm/20080924FIRMForumAgenda.htm

    <chris> i'm on

    <josema> hope so

    <chris> not sure

    <josema> maybe aagg

    <josema> chris, is your number +1.202.488--something

    <chris> yes, that's me. i'm on mute

    josema: let us look at wikis for the TF's, lets also hear their
    leaders

    Kevin: before we do that, let us go back to the workshop in spring
    ... what should that look like?
    ... we are already two weeks into the time span for this group, and
    we need to speed up now

Group Activity Plan

    <josema> [14]Group Outline

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/GroupOutline

    <josema> [15]Activity Plan

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/ActivityPlan

    <josema> [kevin reviews plan]

    <josema> yes, we need feedback!!

    <josema> we need the expertise from the Group

    chris: I would like to review the group activity and align that with
    the actions for the task force

    josema: these plans are not fixed, they are food for thought
    ... we are trying to find out what the eGov Activity should be, not
    just for the present IG
    ... there are lots of questions about what we should do

    [Kevin leaves call]

    josema: there is an article from some guys at Princeton about open
    government
    ... it got a lot of attention, in blogs and so on
    ... it says the govt should stop publishing websites and focus on
    publishing open data
    ... to use by persons and organisations
    ... we will send the reference, when I have it handy
    ... if anybody has it handy, please send it to the group list?  
Owen, please?
    ... I will try to find it
    ... task force chairs: what do you expect from your task force?

    owen: will do

    chris: I have heard from some individuals about interest in the TF
    ... I will be updating the use case documents

    josema: I have been reviewing guidelines from several countries
    ... some countries say "follow these specs, this performance level"
    and so on

    <pasquale> sorry, I am not able to continue, hi all

    josema: several countries have been working on this
    ... would it be interesting to compile "the best of the best"?

    chris.a: Yeah, I think that would be very interesting

    josema: Rachel, if the group would produce that, would it be useful
    for you?

    rachel: the guiding principles are there
    ... we have documented a lot of practices
    ... the more we can do the same way not only in the US, but all over
    the world, the better it is

    josema: I hope a lot of people will send you email about joining
    this TF effort

    <josema> september... I'm full of energy :)

    ari: please put up the things that you read and find interesting to
    the wiki

    josema: how do you envision the TF work?

    ari: the goal is to find out how open standards are used to gain
    transparancy, and where are the gaps
    ... the short term goals is to find out what's out there

    josema: any other comments?

    [none heard]

    josema: any other comments?
    ... let us talk about IG Notes
    ... we are supposed to produce one for each TF
    ... we have two months to produce those
    ... we are supposed to be doing that right now, and we have not
    really started
    ... I will try to push a little bit
    ... I will try to help with the W3C editing principles, which are
    not very hard, but they are there, and involve valid (X)HTML and
    things like that
    ... we have very tight deadlines now

Face to Face Meeting

    josema: I sent an email about the F2F meeting
    ... the meeting is in Mandelieu, near Cannes
    ... the discount rate expires on next monday

    <Beng> jose's mail is :
    [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-egov-ig/2008Aug/0004.
    html

      [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-egov-ig/2008Aug/0004.html

    josema: there are other hotels of course
    ... the deadline for the meeting is sept 28
    ... this is the TPAC, the Technical Plenary, which is the main W3C
    technical meeting
    ... it is one of the best meetings in the year, highly recommended
    ... if we need to interact with other groups, the best experts will
    be there
    ... most meetings are open to observers, so you may join other
    meetings
    ... this is very useful to learn technologies, and all the experts
    are there

    [Important dates: sept 8th and sept 28th]

    josema: any questions?

    [none heard]

Liaisons: review

    josema: Kevin allready mentioned OASIS and the World Bank
    ... we are in a state where we try to gain more knowledge about each
    other
    ... we will return to the group with reports

    <josema> [17]http://www.semic.eu

      [17] http://www.semic.eu/

    josema: we have had some interest from the Semantic Interoperability
    in Europe (SEMIC.EU)
    ... this is especially relevant to data integration
    ... we will meet with the project in Brussels
    ... how do we see that vision
    ... they are compiling a repository of "interoperability assets"
    ... I will find out more about this in two weeks from now in the
    meeting

    Trond: it is a very interesting project, with large challenges

    <josema> [18]Ontaria

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2004/ontaria/

    josema: Ontaria was a related W3C project
    ... that project is paused
    ... I will try to find out more

    kjetil: mentioned the liasons established by Computas

    <josema> I lost my phone connection :(

    josema: any further questions?
    ... please take a look at the documents
    ... thank you all!
    ... next meeting: 17 Sept.

    [ADJOURNED]

    <josema> thanks all for particippating today

    <josema> thanks kjetil for scribing!

Summary of Action Items

    [no new ACTIONS]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [19]scribe.perl version 1.133
     ([20]CVS log)
     $Date: 2008/09/03 16:08:28 $

      [19] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 3 September 2008 16:32:10 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 3 September 2008 16:32:10 GMT