W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-egov-ig@w3.org > October 2008

Re: Persistent Identifiers anyone? Re: volunteering for topic areas and use cases

From: Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:57:54 +0100
Cc: John Sheridan <John.Sheridan@nationalarchives.gov.uk>, Kevin Novak <kevinnovak@aia.org>, public-egov-ig@w3.org
Message-Id: <5A4A77EF-AE61-48DF-A66D-31006022D907@w3.org>
To: washingtona@acm.org

Hi Anne,

I see john took the action. AFAIR, because of these two UK projects:

If you both could briefly document the use case, I think that should  
suffice for this topic area. Of course, before/after examples would be  
*very* helpful.

Side notes: I already converted the topic areas to products in the  

So this is related to ACTION-17 (this way tracker should add this  
email automatically to the ACTION comments :)
Unfortunately I see no way of actioning two people for the same  
action, so I'm creating a separate one related to the product for you.

Thanks much!

El 29/10/2008, a las 16:45, Anne Washington escribió:

> I can work on the persistent identifier use case. http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/17
> Is there anyone else interested in teaming up with me?
> I used handle technology to create persistent URLs to U.S.  
> Congressional legislation. We've been working on this project since  
> 2005. Although it is listed as G2C interaction, we built this more  
> for internal G2G clients who are more likely to build websites that  
> frequently use our links. An external help page was recently made  
> available about the project. http://thomas.loc.gov/home/handles/help.html
> Some background: The Library of Congress has been using handles for  
> about ten years. The CNRI, Corporation for National Research  
> Initiatives, handle system is described in more detail at http://www.handle.net/faq.html 
> . An early review of the use of handles at the Library can be found  
> at http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/award/docs/handle-server.html .
> Below is the email announcement about the project.
> Announcing permanent links to THOMAS
> Permanent simple links are now available to access legislation in  
> THOMAS (http://thomas.loc.gov). The legislative handles project will  
> provide persistent access to Congressional digital collections held  
> at the Library of Congress. Legislative handles are a convenient way  
> to cite legislation in bibliographies, emails, blogs, or web pages.   
> The current link structure has not changed. Legislative handles are  
> an additional way to access content on THOMAS.
> How to create a legislative handle
> To create a legislative handle, start with  http:// followed by  
> hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/  Add the name of the collection, a  
> period, and the Congress number   legislation.110  Immediately type  
> the bill abbreviation and the bill number without punctuation. This  
> handle will resolve to the Bill Summary and Status page.  For example:
> http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.110hconres196
> http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.110sres69
> Specific questions can be sent to the Library's Ask-A-Librarian  
> service. http://www.loc.gov/rr/askalib/ask-digital.html
> For the complete legislative handle syntax and more information, see  
> the THOMAS handles help page http://thomas.loc.gov/home/handles/help.html 
> .
> Anne Washington
> Standards work - washingtona@acm.org
> Work work - awashington@crs.loc.gov
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Jose M. Alonso wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:45:01 +0100
>> From: Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org>
>> To: Jeff Sonstein <jeffs@it.rit.edu>
>> Cc: public-egov-ig@w3.org
>> Subject: volunteering for topic areas and use cases -- Re: [agenda]  
>> eGov IG
>>    call, 29 Oct 2008
>> Resent-Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:45:47 +0000
>> Resent-From: public-egov-ig@w3.org
>>>>> ...
>>>>> Agenda [...]
>>>>> 6. Assign people (+use cases) to areas
>>>>>    * open actions: http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/
>>>>> open
>>>>>    * use cases: http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Use_Cases
>>>> I would request that the meeting facilitator insure that
>>>> we get to this item early on
>>>> so that I can be a part of the use-case area assignments...
>>> Ok.
>>> I expect the Group to spend most of the meeting on this agendum  
>>> and the previous one "Review of the Topic Areas."
>> By the way, no need to wait for the call. If you are interested in  
>> any of the areas and/or you think there's something missing there,  
>> we can discuss by email.
>> I already mentioned I miss one topic area on "Multi-channel delivery"
>> Cheers,
>> Jose.
Received on Thursday, 30 October 2008 09:58:36 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:00:39 UTC