persistence and group goals -- Re: SEMIC Goals and Objectives

[+Renke, who attended the F2F on behalf of SEMIC (thanks again, Renke)]

El 30/10/2008, a las 2:31, Owen Ambur escribió:
> This is a case study of the need for persistent URLs.
>
> I see that SEMIC now has a new set of objectives --
> http://www.semic.eu/semic/view/snav/About_SEMIC/Objectives.xhtml?cid=33749
> -- which have been established since April 5, 2008, when I captured
> their
> goals in StratML format, at http://xml.gov/stratml/SEMIC.xml
>
> Meanwhile, the page from which I copied their former goals --
> http://www.semic.eu/
> about_semantic_interoperability_centre_europe.html -- is
> now generating a 404 error.

And it goes on and on and on... too many examples like this around...

This is one of the errors I really hate because it's very easy to
solve, not to mention if planned in advance.

As I mentioned on the call, my experience so far is that when you talk
about it in technical terms to make the policy case it does not work.
What is needed is to talk in their terms. Example: a recent meeting
with people in charge of a national gazette (official journal where
laws, decrees, call for tenders, etc. are published) and that is
published on a daily basis. Paper version about to disappear, only
online version to be available. Lots of references to a given issue
and a given page. What if it just disappears online? Not acceptable. I
like to think I succeed making this simple case :)

I believe that many of the things we have to say as Group are as
simple as that. I understand some governments are already ahead of
this, so what I envision is:
1) showing the problem with simple real examples
    (I'd favor common generic ones, not finger pointing)
2) those that are ahead to tell how they are solving it
    (including the hurdles they find on the way)
3) showing issues still unsolved that will need further consideration

It should not be that complicated. We have enough knowledge around and
main areas are almost identified already.

If after all that, we have enough time to develop best practices based
on that knowledge base, that would be super. We can also defer this
part to a second phase of the Group's work and even discuss later in
time if we want to pursue it via recommendation track work.

Jose.